Montreux, chocolate train and Broc/Gruyere

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 14:10:22 #816382

For the last few days of our trip through Switzerland we are planning on transferring from Wengen to Montreux, but I was thinking about it, and was wondering if it is as nice to go directly on our own from Bern to Broc and Gruyere, then on to Montreux and do sightseeing there the next day? Or would anyone recommend going to Montruex first and sightseeing, then doing the chocolate train to see Broc and Gruyere?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 16:20:26 #887076

Hi drsjw,

The chocolate train departs Montreux at 09:02 so it makes for a 05:12 departure from Wengen if you want to do it. 🙂

http://www.goldenpass. ch/en/goldenpass/offer /view?id=15

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 17:14:39 #887077

Hahaha!! Yes, maybe I didn’t write that as clearly as I meant to.

I was thinking about the option of going to Broc/Gruyere on our own on the way to Montreux…

OR, Going to Montreux and spending the day sightseeing and overnight there, and the NEXT day doing the chocolate train. :).

I am going to be on vacation…5:15 is not in my plans. 😜

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 17:30:11 #887078

Ah, so either way you are spending the night in Montreux. You want to know if the chocolate train is worth doing the next morning from Montreux or should you just do factory visits on your own on the way to Montreux. Got it.

Well, I’ve never done the chocolate train but it looks nice to me! You can certainly do it all on your own without needing to do the whole train package though.

katie88
    Participant
    5 posts
    7 June 2018 at 12:20:28 #887079

I want to go from Montreux to Gruyeres on my own. When I check the train schedule, 1st leg is from Montreux to Montbovon. Since it’s part of the golden pass popular route, should I make reservation for both direction?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 15:33:01 #887080

If you are on an MOB Panoramic train (the schedule will note that) then it is a good idea to reserve in the summer yes. The other trains are regional trains and I wouldn’t worry about trying to reserve those.

katie88
    Participant
    5 posts
    7 June 2018 at 16:12:35 #887081

Thanks Lucas, I shall be in switzerland next week. very excited and doing last minute planning. after Montreux, I shall move to Lausanne. will you recommend to travel from Lausanne to Gruyeres, instead? the travel time seems almost the same but I can avoid the golden pass. Based on my plan, I would have already travelled the Interlaken ~ Montreux leg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 17:34:20 #887082

Sure, a new route is never a bad idea. I haven’t traveled from Lausanne to Gruyeres so can’t comment on the scenery and how it compares.

• The thread ‘Montreux, chocolate train and Broc/Gruyere’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.