Most scenic way to train from Zermatt to Montreux

• Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    29 May 2019 at 20:20:56 #821914

Hi all,

Travelling from Zermatt to Montreux this Sunday, with a Swiss Travel Pass. What is the most scenic route? Should we go via Sion and Martigny? From Montreux we will be heading to Wengen, so will be travelling via Gstaad and Zweisimmen I presume, so Visp, Spiez, Montreux doesn’t make sense as we’d be doubling up? I just thought I’d read here on a thread to go via Kandersteg on the Lotschberger 100 year old mountain route, but don’t want to go through the tunnel. Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

Narelle

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 May 2019 at 22:35:07 #913623

Hello Narelle,

Take the fastest route via Sion to Montreux. Then take the Golden Pass route (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) from a Montreux to Interlaken via Zweisimmen on your way to Wengen.

The other alternative to doubling up would be to go via Kandersteg (that’s a much shorter tunnel than the Lötschberger Base tunnel between Visp an Spiez) to Bern and on to Montreux via Lausanne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2019 at 0:20:07 #913624

There is nothing ‘not scenic’ about the normal railway route Zermatt – Montreux. From Zermatt to Visp you travel down the Vispa valley with mountain and tumbling river rapids views, plus quaint chalet back gardens and smallholdings. Visp to Aigle is in the Rhone valley – there are numerous things to look out for in addition to the two sides of the valley rearing up to high mountains either side. Don’t miss the chapels and castles on top of ‘volcanic plug’ promontaries around Sion

Also notice how the Rhone Valley turns 90 degrees at Martigny – a quirk of geology

Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    30 May 2019 at 14:15:20 #913625

Thanks guys,

via Sion and Martigny it is then. Been here for 2 weeks so far, and yes, every train trip has been scenic, and all quite different. Experienced some amazing scenery, the snow and mountains are mind blowing for a couple of Aussies who live on the coast at sea level! The train system is an engineering marvel.

JohnYorks
    Participant
    117 posts
    31 May 2019 at 15:29:35 #913626

Hi Rels

One thing you could do, if you’re making a quick dash from Visp to Montreux with a pass, is to get off at Aigle and ride the wonderfully scenic sharp ascent to Leysin on the little narrow gauge line – 30 minutes of breathtaking views and it’s included in your Swiss Travel Pass (also Interrail / Eurail). I’d recommend it to anybody looking for something a bit different. The final steep ascent between the last two Leysin stations is in tunnel and you end up in a wonderfully rustic remote and elevated spot..

Another attraction is that the train starts off as a streetside tram through the little town of Aigle. It leaves from a platform next to the mainline station, and the delay would cost you two hours tops. I’m sure there’s left luggage at Aigle, but you’d have only maybe 100 metres to walk.

I made this trip almost exactly a year ago,,unforgettable! Though early June, the train was far from busy.

Hope that helps.

John

Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    2 June 2019 at 15:31:57 #913627

Thanks John,

We took up your suggestion today and took the little train from Aigle up to Leysin and back. The scenery was beautiful, with a clear blue sky and snow on the mountains.

rock oyster and 1960 man, went Visp to Montreal via Sion and Martigny, and yes, the scenery was beautiful – again! 30 degrees here in Montreux!

Regards,

Narelle

JohnYorks
    Participant
    117 posts
    2 June 2019 at 18:38:48 #913628

Hi Rels

So pleased you managed Leysin. If you’re ever nearby again, there are two more entirely different narrow gauge routes from adjacent platforms at the side of Aigle station, and all 3 are quite different and climb quite spectacularly. One snakes around vineyards on its way east to les Diablerets, the other heads south west to Champéry, on the other side of the Rhône valley, and hard against the French border. I was here on exactly this Sunday last year, and it was equally hot! But I think the Leysin line is the most characterful and quirky. There is very good coverage on YouTube of all these lines.

John

• The thread ‘Most scenic way to train from Zermatt to Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.