Buying mountain trip tickets ahead of time

• jeannemb
    Participant
    4 posts
    6 February 2016 at 15:20:38 #808379

We are going to spend a few weeks in Switzerland. I plan to purchase a 3 day flexipass with the half-fare combo using the pass to cover the longest trips and the half fare for short trips and the mountain rail trips. My question is I was told it was best to buy the mountain trips (Gonergrat, Piz Gloria, Mt Titlis etc) ahead on the swiss rail site when I book the pass combo as we are going in June and they could be sold out. The trip purchase menu calls for a specific day (what happens if I can’t use it that day, can I use the ticket for another day? ) thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 February 2016 at 15:45:04 #848221

Welcome jeannemb!

The only mountain trip I know that sells out sometimes is Jungfraujoch. Even there it’s rare but in high season (mostly July & August) it may happen when the weather is wonderful.

You can buy tickets in advance but it’s not required. Your Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi can be purchased from http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. You can order along the tickets for the trips you mentioned. Once you have picked a date you can use the ticket from that date but you can use it later too. I don’t remember how long it’s valid but I think it’s a month at least.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 February 2016 at 2:14:57 #848222

Hi Jeannenembi-

In addition to what Arno has said, it is unwise to buy ahead because the weather is changeable, and seeing the inside of clouds instead of beautiful mountains is best managed or avoided by buying locally with weather forecasts in mind.

<<“as we are going in June”>>

Early or late June? Early June can still be Winter (or nasty late Spring) up there at high altitude. Won’t affect travel up the mountains, but could make the trails soggy or blocked by snow, still.

Slowpoke

jeannemb
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 February 2016 at 22:12:00 #848223

thanks for the info. we are going from mid-June to July 4.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 February 2016 at 22:23:27 #848224

<<“we are going from mid-June to July 4.”>>

Good timing. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Buying mountain trip tickets ahead of time’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.