Mt. Pilatus and Luzerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2011 at 10:35:16 #804348

Hi

I’m wondering whether to book one or two nights in Luzerne – depending on the time required to see the sights.

I want to go to Mt. Pilatus. How much time should I allow for this trip? What is the best way to get there in terms of boat rides, gondolas, railroad etc. ? I read about the golden route – is this a packaged trip?

How much time would you allot for Luzerne itself?

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7094 posts
    1 June 2011 at 15:18:49 #832990

Hi Anna. The trip to Mt. Pilatus takes about half a day from Lucerne, depending on the route you choose and how much time you like to spend up there. The quickest way is to get up and down by cable car from Kriens (near Lucerne). However, you can make a wonderful round trip as well. This is referred to as the ‘golden roundtrip’, which is one ticket allowing you to travel by boat from Lucerne to Alpnachstad, by cog rail from Alpnachstad to Pilatus, and by cable car from Pilatus to Kriens and by bus back to Lucerne – or the other way around of course. Prices, timetables and further specifications can be found at the Pilatus website.

Lucerne is a great town with lovely scenery. You can easily spend days there, exploring the town itself and the lake. This topic lists some other ideas for a stay in or near Lucerne. It may help you decide how many nights to book there.

• The thread ‘Mt. Pilatus and Luzerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.