Mt Rigi using Swiss Travel Pass

• Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    17 May 2018 at 7:01:43 #816040

Hi Team, Planning a trip from Lucerne to Mt Rigi next month (4 adults). Can you please

(1) confirm that all transport planned in the following is free with our Swiss Travel Pass (I am sure it is from reading your information but just to check) and

(2) The days available to do the trip (weather permitting) are Sunday 24th June and Mon/Tues 25th/26th June. I have had a look at the timetable (very small) can you check that the times I have listed are correct. and finally, that this plan makes sense.

Getting there: Boat from Lucerne to Vitznau, the boat leaves Luzern Bahnhofquai platform 1 at 8:12 am (earliest) and then at 15 mins past the hour. Some comments suggest that the 9:15 am boat is very busy so the earlier boat may be better? What about the later boat at 10:15 am? We don’t want to be packed like sardines! do you have any advice to give?

Cogwheel Train from Vitznau – Rigi Kulm – The cogwheel train leaves at 9:15 am (which connects with the arrival of the 8:12 am boat from Luzern or 10:15 am to connect with the 9:15 am boat from Luzern) Where possible, sit on the right side going up for best views?

Coming back: Walk down to Rigi-Kaltbad to get the cable car down to Weggis (comments say that is a gentle descent of approx. 4 kms from Rigi Kulm to Rigi-Kaltbad, is this accurate?) At Rigi-Kaltbad the cable car goes down to Weggis every 30 mins and the journey takes 10 mins.

At Weggis, take the boat back to Luzern. The boat leaves at 5 mins past the hour.

Let me know what you think of this plan and any improvements that we could make. Given that we are walking the 4Km down to Rigi-Kaltbad, where would you recommend getting lunch? Good views/ good menu and fair price. Thanks for all your help. Your website has been a terrific help when planning this trip.

Sandra.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 May 2018 at 8:19:33 #885513

I’d sit on the left side going up from Vitznau to Rigi Kulm.

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    17 May 2018 at 10:38:24 #885514

HI Rockoyster,

Thanks for your prompt response. I must have taken the wrong info down, will try to sit on the left side, Thanks! Did you think the rest of the detail was okay?

Trying to make this trip run as smoothly as possible. I put this together from info on this website, just needing someone to check it out.

Thanks again from a fellow traveller,

Sandra

MyTravels
    Participant
    25 posts
    17 May 2018 at 12:40:59 #885515

Hi Sandra59

I can confirm the following:

1. Swiss Pass covers all transportation for this trip

2. The times are correct and the itinerary makes sense

3. The trail leading down from Rigi Kulm to Rigi Kaltbad is downhill all the way and according to the Rigi website features an asphalt path for part of the walk.

http://www.rigi.ch/en/Experie nce-Enjoy/Summer/Hiking/Hi king-trails-on-Mount-Rigi/Rigi-classic

I would suggest the information would be accurate as I have visited Switzerland many times and done a number of the easy walks as recommended on official websites i.e. Lavaux Vineyards, Murren to Grutschlap etc and I haven’t had any issues so far.

4. In terms of restaurants, I sadly don’t have any recommendations, hopefully someone else will be able to steer you in the right direction, the Rigi website does list all restaurants and are quite descriptive with the information provided.

http://www.rigi.ch/en/Media/R estaurants/

I am also doing the same trip on the 26th June with a friend so we might see you there!!!

Apologies Rockoyster for jumping in, I noticed the post and since I had already included this trip in my itinerary I thought I could quickly answer Sandra59’s questions.

(I hope I pasted the website information correctly, 1st time at doing this so still on my training wheels!!!)

Pleasant travels.

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    17 May 2018 at 14:40:10 #885516

Hello, My Travels,

Thank you! Great detailed reply. It’s our first time in Switzerland and I have been spending hours getting as much detail as I can to try to make our holiday stress free. We will be in Lucerne for 3 full days (not counting the Saturday morning as we will not get to our hotel until around 3 pm) Planning on seeing Mt Rigi & Mt Pilatus and a day trip to Bern. The rest of the time enjoying Lucerne. Our first full day is a Sunday so I thought a mountain trip would be a good thing to do, as I think the shops in Lucerne will be closed on Sunday?

I hope you enjoy your trip to Mt Rigi too, let’s hope we get good weather for our mountain trips. Looking forward to walking in Alpine meadows and hearing cowbells ring.

I am also planning to visit the Lavaux Vineyards as we will be in Montreux for 3 days early July, either that or a visit to Gruyeres, still deciding.

Thanks again for your response.

Sandra

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 15:22:00 #885517

Yes indeed the shops and restaurants will mostly be closed on Sundays in all towns (except in train stations) so a good day to go to a mountain (weather dependent of course).

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    17 May 2018 at 15:34:52 #885518

Hi Lucas, Thanks, restaurants are closed too! That is not so good, I imagine our Hotel restaurant will be open, I will check.

Well, that certainly makes Sunday a day for the mountains! The train stations must be packed on Sundays.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 16:45:34 #885519

On Sundays in the summer it can be busy at bigger stations/all stations. A few restaurants and cafes will be open in the city center as well, in bigger towns like Zurich and Lucerne etc. just be prepared for a small selection.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 May 2018 at 20:28:55 #885520

You are most welcome to “jump in” any time. This forum thrives on community input. Thanks for stepping up. 😎

It is very unlikely your hotel dining room would close on Sunday. Swiss hotels are famous for looking after their guests.

ironvic
    Participant
    2 posts
    19 May 2018 at 19:29:11 #885521

I hope this same schedule works for Monday May 21st. We cancelled our stay in Interlaken due to weather and this might substitute. Any comments on if this works on a Monday appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 20:26:57 #885522

Hi ironvic and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Getting to Mt. Rigi on a Monday? No problem at all. For any trips you make you can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan it out.

ironvic
    Participant
    2 posts
    19 May 2018 at 20:47:41 #885523

Thanks Lucas. I was bummed we scratched Jungfraujoch this trip due to predicted weather and spent the time in Montreux, Vevey, Choclate/cheese train and trip to Les Pleides. All very nice but weather was better than I expected and kept thinking we should have went at least to Lauterbrunnen. Being seniors we love that anyone can use the transports to get to these beautiful vistas in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 20:59:35 #885524

Yes, transportation in Switzerland is amazing.

It is always a tough call to visit the mountains when they forecast isn’t what you are hoping for. You can go and hope it changes (which it could) or try something else entirely – Your choice was not a bad one!

• The thread ‘Mt Rigi using Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.