Multi-day hike with huts out of Lauterbrunnen ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2016 at 2:37:19 #809795

My father and I are planning a trekking trip in the Alps (He is 52, I am 16), and we are looking for some guidance and help in planning a 5-7 day hike out of Lauterbrunnen at the end of June 2017. We would like to stay in mountain huts, and we don’t have to necessarily return to Lauterbrunnen. We are planning on hiking for 5-6 hrs per day. We are thinking of trekking around the Grindelwald/Wangen region-

Contemplating maybe doing a few 2-3 day trips out of the villages (Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald..), or just doing one big trek essentially across the valleys.

We will be hiking with boots and hiking poles, have significant hiking experience, but we will not have technical climbing equipment. (Classified as Levels 1 and 2?)

If anyone has any insights and information involving trails, routes, and huts- that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    3 August 2016 at 5:59:30 #854758

Hi,

The options are just about limitless! If you’re both fit, you might consider walking from Lauterbrunnen to Kandersteg. You can cheat on the first leg to Mürren and take a cable car. Leaving Mürren you cross the Sefinnenfürke pass (a bit of a slog because there’s a long scree slope to climb).

You used to be able to stay in a farm house halfway down called Oberdürrenberg. In summer they put mattresses in the empty hayloft above the barn. It’s been a few years since I was last that way, so I don’t know if they still do it.

After Oberdürrenberg, the trail goes down to the rustic Berggasthaus Golderli http://www.golderli.ch/home.h tml (very basic – no electricity in the rooms, but amazing character) then up the other side of the valley towards the Blüemlisalphütte. This section is very long and quite steep in places, but not technical. The hut is a proper SAC hut, so hut rules apply. http://www.bluemlisalphuette. com/typo3/index.php?id=9

After that it’s literally downhill all the way, through Ober and Unter Bergli to Oeschinensee (a picturesque lake), then on to Kandersteg. This walk can be done in 3 or 4 days, depending on the weather and how much ground you want to cover per day.

Another suggestion is to take a guided walk down the Aletschgletscher from the Jungfraujoch to Fiescheralp, staying overnight at the Koncordiahütte. I haven’t done this one, but it’s on my wish list. http://www.grindelwaldsports. ch/en/aletsch-glacier-hike.html

I hope this gives you a couple of ideas.

• The thread ‘Multi-day hike with huts out of Lauterbrunnen ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.