Mürren-based transport with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 21:39:14 #816054

We will be staying in Mürren for a few days at the end of June 2018, and I’d like some information about the various rail and cable car modes of transport to and from the Village. Specifically, I’d like to know what is covered by or discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass. Also whether booking things like the Shilthornbahn cable car or the Allmendhubelbahn funicular in advance is recommended or whether, as I’d much prefer based on local weather, it’s practical to get tickets as you need them and as local conditions are assessed.

Lastly, is there any Swiss Travel Pass discount on the BLM (Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp cable car and/or Grütschalp to Mürren railway)?

We’ll probably be using these modes of transport multiple times, so information about them would be most useful. For instance, I understand that as of January 2018, the Schilthornbahn cable car is 100% covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Would we still need to get a separate ticket to board? Would we be able to board pretty much “at will,” or would the cable cars be in such demand that paid reservations are needed? Any helpful info will be greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 22:06:23 #885566

Hi Zlick and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can find out what routes and mountains are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here. Don’t worry about the type of transport or the operator – only the route matters. The PDF map shows all routes covered and we have a list of top attractions covered fully or partially by the STP.

Reservations are not possible for cable cars to Schilthorn. The entire trip is indeed free on the Swiss Travel Pass now. You will need to go to a ticket office before boarding any cable cars to show them your STP and get a free ticket (with a bar code for the turnstile).

Trains, bus and boats that are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass can be boarded at will. 🙂 Again reservations are not possible on almost all routes in Switzerland anyway – only Panoramic Express trains & Jungfraujoch essentially. Although a few other routes are possible I wouldn’t bother 95% of the time. I also wouldn’t book or pre-buy tickets for mountain trips unless they are open-dated just in case the weather is bad.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 0:04:07 #885567

Thanks mucho.

The Schilthorn web site is confusing in that it purports to offer pre-booked, date-selected trips on the cable cars and the Almendhubble funicular, among many other things, including a field about how many spaces are left! Which of course got me concerned about spaces filling up before I even arrive. It’s much nicer to know no reservations are possible on the Schilthornbahn. I certainly want to check the weather with my eyes and web cams first! Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 0:09:29 #885568

They will certainly sell you a ticket for a specific date if you like. You can buy tickets if wanted, to Schilthorn here.

I know Jungfraujoch offers reservations and it can be a good idea in the summer (July/August) if you must be on a specific departure time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 6:51:01 #885569

>> The Schilthorn web site is confusing in that it purports to offer pre-booked, date-selected trips on the cable cars … Which of course got me concerned about spaces filling up before I even arrive. It’s much nicer to know no reservations are possible on the Schilthornbahn.

Up until the beginning of this week, it was indeed not possible to make reservations for the Schilthorn cable car.

However, they have just introduced a new system. My guess is that this new system has been introduced because of the additional demand they expect (or are already experiencing) now that the Schilthorn trip is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

I have done a bit of research and written about it here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/new-schilthorn-cable-car-reservation-process

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 16:27:31 #885570

You read my mind – just added that thought to your new post on Schilthorn. Cheers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 16:28:03 #885571

Ah, the plot thickens. I suppose then, it would be wise to make the boarding pass reservations for all my available days. Why not for that nominal a fee? I can make a good guess of my ascent time (earlier is better, I presume), but picking a decent time, with a stop in Birg no less, is a bit dicier. Does 90 minutes up top and an hour “thrill walking” in Birg sound reasonable?

Thanks for all the info. It’s a big help, as you can imagine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 17:33:34 #885572

Yes, that timing sounds about right. If it isn’t terribly busy and you want to stay somewhere longer then you can of course. I can’t imagine you’d have wait times of hours in any case..but do let us know how it went!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 0:45:54 #885573

>> Does 90 minutes up top and an hour “thrill walking” in Birg sound reasonable?

The Thrill Walk at Birg is only 200 metres long, and won’t take anything like an hour, but there is a restaurant and a viewing terrace there as well, so it is a lovely place to take a break.

schilthorn.ch/en/info/ birg_2677_m_._8783_ft

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:31:37 #885574

Thanks for all the knowledgeable replies. I won’t be in Switzerland until the end of June, but I’ll certainly post back here about it when I return to the States from Europe in mid-July.

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 May 2018 at 19:02:09 #885575

Great Zlick, we would definitely appreciate a trip report once you’re back!

• The thread ‘Mürren-based transport with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.