Mürren-Kandersteg hut to hut (Hintere Gasse)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2012 at 15:28:22 #805473

Hi!
    I am considering this tour (http://jungfrauregion.ch/cmsfiles/huettentrecking_en_2.pdf) with my two sons for next summer. One will be 13, and the other 9-1/2, and they’re both pretty athletic. We’ve done *some* hut-to-hut hiking (classic presidential traverse in the White Mountains of NH), but this looks a bit more challenging. I’ve read that it’s rated “T2” and I’ve read the description of that classification, but I still am wondering if this will be too ambitious for us.
    For example, I’ve never used a via ferrata system, and I have never used ropes while hiking.
    I’ve tried to find more detailed descriptions on-line, but can’t …
    Has anyone done this with children of this age? Are children commonly making this trek? Are the trails reasonable enough that there’s little chance of getting lost if we’re reasonably careful? General comments about this trek or hut-to-hut hiking with children of this age? Any advice would be great.
    I am particularly considering this hike because we’ve visited the Lauterbrunnen valley many times and are planning on going back next summer, and so I am particularly considering this trip.
    Thanks!

Mike

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 July 2012 at 7:06:37 #836713

Welcome to the forum Mike! I find this one a bit hard to advise on. I don’t know this particular trail, but I’d be careful with children that age if I were you. I’ve also seen this hike described as T3, meaning that you will cross exposed sections. Your children will need to have alpine experience and be surefooted; you’re the only one who can tell whether they’re up for this. By all means, don’t go if weather is bad or if it can get worse; this is pretty tricky in the mountains, especially at such altitudes.

If you’re looking for safer alternatives near Lauterbrunnen: there are plenty, ranging from easy hikes to more challenging day trips. Some are described at this page. I can also recommend Lauterbrunnen Tourism and Wanderland Schweiz. The latter lists multiple day hikes too, but you can choose to do hike shorter sections of such routes and travel back and forth by cable car or mountain train. That may be a good way to find out what your children are capable of.

One last piece of advice: try to track down Swissmountainleader at this forum and ask him. Good luck with your peparations!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2012 at 9:13:47 #836714

[quote]Annika said: Welcome to the forum Mike! I find this one a bit hard to advise on. I don’t know this particular trail, but I’d be careful with children that age if I were you. I’ve also seen this hike described as T3, meaning that you will cross exposed sections. Your children will need to have alpine experience and be surefooted; you’re the only one who can tell whether they’re up for this. By all means, don’t go if weather is bad or if it can get worse; this is pretty tricky in the mountains, especially at such altitudes.

If you’re looking for safer alternatives near Lauterbrunnen: there are plenty, ranging from easy hikes to more challenging day trips. Some are described at this page. I can also recommend Lauterbrunnen Tourism and Wanderland Schweiz. The latter lists multiple day hikes too, but you can choose to do hike shorter sections of such routes and travel back and forth by cable car or mountain train. That may be a good way to find out what your children are capable of.

One last piece of advice: try to track down Swissmountainleader at this forum and ask him. Good luck with your peparations![/quote]

Thanks!! I’ll try and do that. The picture on the brochure has children on it that are smaller than mine, but I agree, unless the weather cooperates, this probably is too ambitious.

Mike

• The thread ‘Mürren-Kandersteg hut to hut (Hintere Gasse)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.