Must cover towns between Interlaken and Jungfrau??

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2015 at 18:57:07 #806833

Hi Guys, this is my first post here and have been impressed with what I have seen so far with the excellent suggestions people have provided others here. Time to request for some info for myself this time.

I will be in Interlaken on March 28 and 29 and plan to go up the Jungfraujoch.

I was wondering which would be the best way to go up and come down while covering the best villages on the way. From what I have read so far people recommend going up Lauterbrunnen and come back via Grindlewald. Is that the best way to do it? Will I be able to automatically “cover” these towns just by doing train changes or I need to go out and spend some time there walking around? Then I also heard of people praising about Wengen (is it on the way up by train) and Murren and some waterfalls out there and some small towns and farms along the 2 lakes.

Feel overwhelmed planning best 2 days in this region (need help)!! I know this is the best part of the trip–the planning but can get frustrating too at times. Thinking of going with 2-3 iteneraries if weather does not support me to go up the Jungfrau on both these days. Would appreciate if someone could please suggest from their similar experience. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    26 January 2015 at 18:14:48 #841633

Hi marchendtrip! Glad to hear our website has been helpful so far.

As for your request: yes, I would indeed prefer to travel up via Lauterbrunnen/Wengen and down via Grindelwald. That’s because the uphill journey to Wengen is simply breathtaking, as the views at Jungfrau massif gradually unfold. The route to Grindelwald is quite spectacular too, close to the foot of the Eiger, but in my opinion it doesn’t really make a difference whether you do this up- or downwards.

Train changes won’t bring you any further than the stations’ platforms, so if you want to explore the village, you should get out of the train, stroll around and get back on a next train. This way, a round trip to the Jungfraujoch would allow you to see a few of the gems of the Bernese Oberland in just one day. Train tickets allow you to get out during your journey, as long as you complete it in one day.

In two days, you simply can’t cover everything. Day trips to consider, apart from the Jungfraujoch, are a boat trip over lake Thun , some easy hikes down in the valleys, or a scenic train trip like the Golden Pass route towards Lucerne or Zweisimmen. If you’re fond of viewing points, consider Männlichen or First. You’ll be visiting by the end of the winter season and these cable cars will still be accessible. The waterfalls in the Lauterbrunnen valley are spectacular indeed, but by the end of March snow shouldn’t be melting that much yet, so they be not be that impressive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2015 at 23:53:00 #841634

Thanks so much Annika. Appreciate your response. Couple of things I shud hv mentioned: wl b staying in lucerne on the 27th so wl take the golden pass for interlaken. Also wl b buying the unlimited 3 day travel swiss pass so if weather is not good to go up jungfrau wl make full use of my pass to explore nearby mountain villages. Wl be travelling with 2 kids 7 n 5. Was wondering, as a back up plan, is it worth going to Bern or Emmanuel (for the cheese factory)?

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 January 2015 at 7:21:10 #841635

Hi there,

Bern is definitely worth it. The historical town center is beautiful, there are arcades to shop dry even when it rains, and the kids will like the bear park.

Did you mean the Emmentaler Show Dairy by any chance? More bad weather suggestions can be found on the Interlaken page.

• The thread ‘Must cover towns between Interlaken and Jungfrau??’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.