My apologies – Another Swiss Pass question

• ashmc
    Participant
    11 posts
    31 July 2013 at 9:03:28 #806126

Hello, all. I promised myself that I would not be one of those posting their plans and asking for advice, but alas…here I am. I have priced out the legs of our journey that I know we will be doing and I would like to get another set of eyes on it to make sure I priced things appropriately. I had a bit of trouble initially, but I think I figured it out. We shall see. For an overview, we are landing in Zurich and traveling directly to Murren. I did think about taking a slight detour to Luzern for a little break after the flight, but not sure. We will be spending our time in Murren hiking. We also want to do a day at the lake (Brienz and/or Thun) and take one of the boats. Additionally, I am sure we will make our way to Wengen at least one time. From Murren, we will be taking the train to Basel. I have tickets from Basel to Paris on the TGV. I have rounded the below ticket prices (and they are per person). Ok…here goes:

Zurich – Murren = $80
    Murren – Basel = $80
    Murren – Lakes and back = $52
    Murren – Wengen and back = $35
    Lake boat trip = $100
    Total $347

With 1/2 fare card, total would be $304

With the 8 day Swiss Saver Pass, the total would be $334 and would allow us the peace of mind of not having to buy a ticket every time, plus it would give flexibility and an additional trip to the valley or Wengen, if we so desired. From what I am seeing, the Swiss Pass is a no brainer for us, but I am afraid I have done something incorrectly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 July 2013 at 12:20:24 #839102

Hi ashmc,

You’re welcome to ask for advice, that’s what the forum is for! Your amounts look right if they are rounded and in CHF (not USD). It depends on which boat trip you have in mind, most trips would be a bit cheaper than CHF 100. Indeed the Swiss Half Fare Card is slightly cheaper for these exact plans. But you’re right, a Swiss Saver Pass would include all the trips for free and you don’t need to get tickets for each trip. Also, additional trips would be free, and so are many museums (if you need an alternative activity in case of bad weather). If you’re from the US you can get the pass here.

As for traveling via Luzern: that would be a good idea. You can have a break there before continuing to Interlaken via Meiringen, which is the Northern leg of the Golden Pass route. Very nice, better than the regular route.

ashmc
    Participant
    11 posts
    31 July 2013 at 12:29:31 #839103

Thanks, Arno! This helps put my mind at ease about my selection of the pass. I was going to do first class and take advantage of the luggage promotion, but I think we can swing 2nd class and if we want to upgrade for the longer leg, we will just pay the extra. From what I understand, there are not even 1st class cabins on some of the mountain trains we will be using. I am sure 2nd class in the Swiss system is much nicer than any coach class I have used when flying in America! The train system is completely new to us! Thank you, again!

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 July 2013 at 12:43:21 #839104

No problem! That first class promotion just expired, but second class is indeed fine. First class is only available to Lauterbrunnen; everything up to Murren, Wengen and beyond is second class only.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘My apologies – Another Swiss Pass question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.