Country to visit for 2/3 days before Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 19:04:19 #810778

Hello,

I will be trvaelling with my family 2 adults 2 kids( age 7 ) in August for a 7 day trip to Switzerland but would like to go visit a neighbouring country for 2 -3days before we reach switzerland. Could you please suggest the nearest country to visit ? We will be buying the swiss rail when in Switzerland. Would the swissrail pass help travelling to any neighbouring country with no extra cost?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 19:12:55 #858888

Hi Tweetybird,

I believe you mean the Swiss Travel Pass? This is only valid for Switzerland. If you are planning to do a fair bit of train travel in the other country you could consider the 2 country Eurail Select Pass.

Read over those links as they will give you prices and purchase options as well as where they are valid.

If you are only taking a train into and out of say one town in the other country you may be better of buying a point to point ticket there and then the Swiss Travel Pass for travel within Switzerland.

Switzerland borders France, Germany, Austria and Italy (and Liechtenstein but its basically Switzerland;) . The closest country depends on where in Switzerland you are travelling to or around.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 19:57:21 #858889

Thank you so much for the qucik response. We are planning to live in Obwalden when in Switzerland for 7 days. I am thinking to visit a nearby country for 2 or 3 days prior to trip to Switzerland, but am confused which country would be more convinient with kids at age 7. Would you be able to help me with that?

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 February 2017 at 9:40:32 #858890

Hi TweetyBird,

This forum is about Switzerland only, but in general I would say that convenience mostly depends on which town and accommodation you choose, and not so much on the country. With children I would pick one base town, not too far from Switzerland to limit traveling time. But still that could be in any of the countries Lucas mentioned. Many people visit Paris and then take a high speed train to Switzerland, but that may not be what you are looking for.

You can best buy your rail pass online, that saves you time on the border. Simply print the pass at home so you can continue traveling rather than getting off the train to wait for a ticket office and then wait for the next train. You’ll find all options on the Price tab of the Swiss Travel Pass page Lucas gave you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 5:41:11 #858891

Thank you so much for the detailed information. We are deciding to visit Paris for 3 nights and then head to Switzerland. Your website has helped me to plan my complete trip. Thank you so much !! I will look at the links Lucas has provided me.

• The thread ‘Country to visit for 2/3 days before Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.