Need for reservations in Swiss excursions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 9:44:28 #810058

Hi,

As a priority, I am trying to book the trips which mandatorily require reservation, or are recommended to be reserved. (I already have the 2nd class Swiss Pass)

My understanding is the below (I have read your website carefully, pls do forgive, and correct, if I still missed something.)

• Golden Pass – I booked for the Montreux-Zweisimmen leg since its recommended. The date is Oct 15, a weekend, so will watch out for the other 2 legs

Can I board the other 2 legs with absolutely no further purchase??

• Glacier is mandatorily to be reserved, so will do so. Unfortunately, you cannot choose a particular seat, like a window seat for example. In fact, I cannot even be sure that we, me and my wife, will be seated together. I do hope they enhance their system soon, to cater to this.
    • Wilhelm Tell – mandatory booking. And Only 1st class.
      • So upgrade my Swiss Pass to 1st class for that trip alone. How much will that cost me pls?
      • In addition, buy an upgrade for CHF49.
      • In terms of enjoying the scenery (leave alone the food, comfort of seats etc) what really is the difference between 2nd and 1st class — perhaps larger windows?
    • Rigi – not required.
    • Breinz Rothorn – the bus in the round trip may require it; otherwise, none of the others are reservation required / recommended as per timetable
    • What other trips, whether mountain excursions or otherwise, require / you’d recommend reserving?
    • I am surprised for such a ‘touristy’ place, reservations are generally not required?? Will there always be the right seat that I want???
    • In any case I don’t see Reservations ‘Possible’ for the above – 3 4 & 5 (excluding the Wilhelm Tell 1st class option)??
    • I will purchase vouchers for all excursions while I am still in India I think. At least, I won’t need to stand in line!

Thanks a ton for reading this long set of questions!

Sorry for the poor indenting, but i am having a lot of trouble with it – Dunno if its a uniwue problem i am having here..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 September 2016 at 10:47:58 #855798

Hi Sureshsrini,

Reservations for excursions in Switzerland are very uncommon. You just show up with you Swiss Travel Pass (not Swiss Pass) and buy a ticket, or you buy a ticket online. There’s no need to book seats.

You only need reservations in a few exceptional cases like the Glacier Express. I don’t think you need to reserve the bus to Brienzer Rothorn you mentioned, but you can check the timetable for your travel date. The Wilhelm Tell Express does not need to be booked in advance either, nor do you need to upgrade to 1st class. All of that is only optional. Please find details on the Wilhelm Tell Express page.

Our attraction pages provide details about tickets and reservations, if needed.

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 12:35:32 #855799

Thanks so much Arno!

• The thread ‘Need for reservations in Swiss excursions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.