Need help from a “techie”

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2012 at 11:52:46 #805077

Hi everyone – wondering if anyone can help with this query? I have a very basic mobile phone – only used for calls and texts so know nothing aout “apps”! I recently bought myself a Kobo Vox e-reader which uses Android system and can download apps and browse internet. I was interested in Wandermann’s post to another poster about the SBB app so looked into it but the reviews suggest it doesn’t perform well. (some reviewers said it wasn’t as good as an earlier app which is no longer available.) So I am wondering whether it is worth downloading to my Kobo or whether it would be better to set SBB online timetable as a favourite for my browser. Also does anyone know if there is an app for weather forecasts? (I usually use metcheck website before setting off for Switzerland but this only covers first part of our stay.) Any help from experts with this kind of technology would be appreciated. Thank you. Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2012 at 3:38:32 #835392

the official app get’s a score of 4/5 which is about as good as it gets. I use it all the time and it works brilliantly.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    1 April 2012 at 6:52:52 #835393

Hello Maggie!

The SBB-app works great, I agree with SwissMountainLeader. But then: I have an iPhone, so I’m not sure how the app works when using an Android. Of course, you can always, just to make sure, make a favourite for your browser, in that case you will always be able to find it. But we’ve read the reviews of the last few months about the app and they were good. As it is a free app you can always download it and try how and if it works the way you want it to.

As for weather forecasts: I found this link for a Swiss Meteo app. This one is not free.
    The app from http://www.wetter.com isn’t free either. Our friends in Switzerland told us they always use this app and they find it very reliable.

Good luck finding the right app!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2012 at 9:40:28 #835394

thank you both for your help. I think I will download the sbb app and also set it as a favourite in my browser as a backup in case I need it. Thank you Olga for suggestions re weather forecast app. I will investigate your link and see how I get on. Maggie

• The thread ‘Need help from a “techie”’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.