Need help: spectacular mountain train rides

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2010 at 7:27:03 #803765

My 17 year old son and I will leave for Switzerland next August. Will be staying in Filisur, 3 nights and in St Niklas (south of the alps), 4 nights. Now I’m looking for really spectacular mountain train rides to make, especially for my son who’s a train enthusiast… What trips can we make around Filisur and St Niklas? I’m not looking for cable cars, it should be trains.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    11 April 2010 at 12:58:31 #831078

Hello JEswiss,

Your son will definitely enjoy your stay in Filisur and St. Niklaus! There are many train rides to consider. Examples for Filisur are:

– the Albula train line between Chur and St. Moritz. It’s an ingenious track with viaducts (a.o. the famous Landwasser viaduct right next to Filisur) and spiral tunnels;
    – the Bernina Express, which is a splendid journey to the mediterranean Poschiavo valley starting at St. Moritz and ending up in Tirano. You can get from Filisur to Tirano and back within one day;
    – I’m not sure if your son is fond of funiculars as well, but a nice and steep one can be found between Samedan and Pontresina, called Muottas Muragl. You will be rewarded with a beautiful view of the Engadine.

If your trip from Filisur to St. Niklaus will be made by train as well, you may consider the Glacier Express for this. Train rides which can be made from St. Niklaus are:

– the route to Zermatt in the narrow, steep Matter valley;
    – the cog railway from Zermatt to Gornergrat;
    – a ride to the eastern, upper part of the Rhone valley (for example up to Obergesteln).

I hopes this helps you select some nice routes. Enjoy!

• The thread ‘Need help: spectacular mountain train rides’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.