Need Tips for travel in Jan 2012

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2011 at 20:30:15 #804763

I am visiting Switzerland and Paris in the 2nd week of Jan. Please help me out on the following :

– Which airport should I land- Geneva or Zurich ? We are a couple mainly interested in site seeing, expecially the mountains. And I would like to visit Paris also.
    – What rail pass should I opt for 3 days in Swiss and 2 days in Paris? We would be travelling only within the city in Paris, but it will out of the city when it comes to Switzerland. I have heard Jungfrau and Titlis are the best places to visit, how do we get to these places and is January a good time to visit these spots?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    30 October 2011 at 11:51:36 #834416

Hello dileep, and welcome to the forum. You can best choose the airport that’s closest to the mountains you want to visit. If you want to get to the Jungfraujoch and Titlis, Zurich would make sense. The Swiss timetable indicates how to travel in Switzerland. Trips to the Jungfraujoch and Titlis can be found here as well. And yes, January is a great month for a visit to such viewing points, as there will probably be lots of snow. Just mind that you should only get up if weather is fine.

Do you want to visit Paris by rail? If so, you could travel from Zurich, Lucerne or Interlaken to Montreux and Geneva using the beautiful Golden Pass route. From Geneva, you can catch a direct train to Paris. These trains can be found through the timetable as well.

Since you’ll only be visiting Paris, I think you shouldn’t buy a rail pass for France, but just use regular tickets. Right now it’s hard to say which pass is best for your 3 day stay in Switzerland, as you haven’t finalized your travel plans yet. Our FAQ can serve as a starting point in finding out which options are available. Once you know what your travel plans look like, it will be easier to pick the right pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2011 at 9:33:02 #834417

Thank you ..much appreciated 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2011 at 13:30:53 #834418

Hi am back again. Change of plans. I am landing in Paris and coming to Luzern directly from there for 3 days and the main target is Pilatus. Disappointed to know that Cog wheel train doesnt operate in January. So please tell me how do I get up there. Heard that the Golden Round trip is not possible either. I might cancel the Swiss trip if I wont be able to see the mountains and some snow .

Thank you

-Dileep

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 November 2011 at 2:23:39 #834419

Hi Dileep,

You can take the gondola from Kriens to reach the summit. Kriens is a suburb of Luzern. The timetable can be checked at the Pilatus website or the timetable Annika referred to. The cogwheel railway will open again in Spring. There’s usually too much snow in Winter for it to operate.

• The thread ‘Need Tips for travel in Jan 2012’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.