New MySwissAlps moderator Chantal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    6 December 2017 at 9:44:05 #872574

Hello Chantal,

Welcome to this great website. I hope you will enjoy answering and reacting – anyhow, the country you live in is beautiful so it must be nice to talk about it! Have fun!

O ja, ik ben ook Nederlands en ik woon er ook. Maar na ruim 30 keer Zwitserland zie ik dat als mijn tweede land :).

Veel plezier hier,

Olga

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 December 2017 at 10:01:08 #872575

<<“Did you check out Marie-Thérèse Porchet ?”>>

Still not yet. I watched her for while, but this computer, even though it has audio capabilities, has no speakers.

I have to crank up a different one to listen. From what I saw, it should be worthwhile. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2017 at 12:11:26 #872576

Hoi Olga,

Thanks for your message! I will definitely have fun. There’s great content on the website and the contribution of other forum members is amazing. Just started but already learned a lot of new things about Switzerland.

Hope to ‘see’ you soon again on the forum.

Groetjes,

Chantal

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 December 2017 at 14:24:13 #872577

<<” learned a lot of new things about Switzerland.”>>

That is one of the best parts about participating. Organizing answers teaches a lot. So does reading some of the posts.

And, there are couple of my Swiss friends who contribute their considrabl knowledge periodically…from both sides of the Röstigraben.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 December 2017 at 18:51:28 #872578

<<“Did you check out Marie-Thérèse Porchet ?”>>

Did.

Je ne parle pas français. En fait, je ne comprends pas le français.

In my secondary school, I selected Latin ( for grammar concepts) and German ( because of the family origins). Later, as I was learning to be a chemist, i studied languages of value to a modern chemist in those days – German, and Russian. French never got up in the priorities.

French has gone the way of Italian as a language of diplomacy, having been displaced by English in that role and many others.

Я все еще говорю и понимаю немного русского.

That means –

“Je parle et comprends encore un peu le russe.”>>

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 December 2017 at 22:36:00 #872579

Hello тугодум (Slowpoke in русский)

You said “Je ne parle pas français. En fait, je ne comprends pas le français.

In my secondary school, I selected Latin ….”

I also selected Latin (at the urging of my parents) and I am glad that I did, as it provides a wonderful grounding when learning the Romance languages. When I got to university I found that Spanish was pretty easy to pick up with my French and Latin. I also took some Italian, and of course it is even closer to Latin than is Spanish. Spanish is somewhat more remote from Latin as it has a good number of words which find their origin in the Arabic of the occupying Moors. As for Portuguese, I can read it but that is about it, as it sounds much different than Spanish. My German is not anywhere as good as yours, as I only studied it for one semester. I often say that I understand “train station German” which is pretty handy when travelling in the German parts of Switzerland and in Germany and Austria.

Vous avez raison que le français est beaucoup moins important qu’auparavant. Mais, je dois vous dire qu’il est toujours une langue très, très belle. Do you know the singer Yves Duteil ? Here is a song that he did: youtu.be/joUeMoDDcYM One of my favourite lines is “Où la saveur des choses est déjà dans les mots” which translates as “where the taste of things is already in the words“, and even here, it sounds better in French !

Too bad you were not able to understand Marie-Thérèse. I had thought of her because of your occasional references to the Röstigraben.

I was just looking at a graph in Wikipedia that shows 29% of modern English words have a French origin, and another 29% are from Latin, and that Germanic is about 26%. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List_of_English_words_ of_French_origin

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The thread ‘New MySwissAlps moderator Chantal’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.