Night train into Zurich with Swiss Travel Pass

Night train into Zurich with Swiss Travel Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
davismavis3
davismavis3
15 posts
May 29, 2018 - 2:43 AM

Hello! We have decided to take a night train from Austria to Zurich leaving Wed June 13 in the night and arriving Thursday morning June 14. Then we have additional train rides so I'm considering a Swiss pass for the three days we are in Switzerland, but somewhere I read we "only had to pay the night train to the border" and I don't understand how that works? How do you use a Swiss Pass for the portion of the train once it crosses Switzerland to Zurich? And is it too late to even worry about since I already booked the overnight ticket? Just curious! Thanks.

Lucas
Lucas
6329 posts
expert &
May 29, 2018 - 6:25 AM in reply to davismavis3

Hi Davismavis3,

It can be a little tricky on night trains.

Your Swiss Travel Pass (if valid on the date of travel in Switzerland, June 14) would cover the ticket fare from Buchs SG to Zurich. So you would only need a ticket for the Austrian town you leave to Buchs SG & also reserve a cabin for the whole trip if you wanted a bed.

I haven't done it but I would expect you would show the train personnel two tickets and one cabin reservation at time of boarding.

It would be a hassle (and cost) to cancel or change tickets at this point yes. :)

I enjoy taking night trains - enjoy the trip!

If you want to look at information and purchase options on the Swiss Travel Pass for the rest of your trip look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass

Last modified on May 29, 2018 - 6:27 AM by Lucas
Arno
Arno
10521 posts
expert &
May 29, 2018 - 3:21 PM

To be honest, I wouldn't bother now that you already have the tickets. The savings may even be nothing as night train sometimes have fixed prices regardless of the exact destination.

Enjoy your trip!

davismavis3
davismavis3
15 posts
May 29, 2018 - 4:04 PM

Thanks both for your feedback!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018