Night train into Zurich with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 2:43:43 #816291

Hello! We have decided to take a night train from Austria to Zurich leaving Wed June 13 in the night and arriving Thursday morning June 14. Then we have additional train rides so I’m considering a Swiss pass for the three days we are in Switzerland, but somewhere I read we “only had to pay the night train to the border” and I don’t understand how that works? How do you use a Swiss Pass for the portion of the train once it crosses Switzerland to Zurich? And is it too late to even worry about since I already booked the overnight ticket? Just curious! Thanks.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 6:25:32 #886679

Hi Davismavis3,

It can be a little tricky on night trains.

Your Swiss Travel Pass (if valid on the date of travel in Switzerland, June 14) would cover the ticket fare from Buchs SG to Zurich. So you would only need a ticket for the Austrian town you leave to Buchs SG & also reserve a cabin for the whole trip if you wanted a bed.

I haven’t done it but I would expect you would show the train personnel two tickets and one cabin reservation at time of boarding.

It would be a hassle (and cost) to cancel or change tickets at this point yes. 🙂

I enjoy taking night trains – enjoy the trip!

If you want to look at information and purchase options on the Swiss Travel Pass for the rest of your trip look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass

Arno
    15486 posts
    29 May 2018 at 15:21:40 #886680

To be honest, I wouldn’t bother now that you already have the tickets. The savings may even be nothing as night train sometimes have fixed prices regardless of the exact destination.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 16:04:22 #886681

Thanks both for your feedback!

• The thread ‘Night train into Zurich with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11240 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.