How far in advance can I buy Swiss train tickets?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2019 at 5:58:07 #820036

I cannot book Swiss train tickets in advance for September travel yet,,but I can book for 30 days out.. Can someone tell me how many months we must wait to purchase for Train Tickets for September travel ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2019 at 9:05:04 #904686

Glacier Express and Bernina Express both say you can reserve a seat 3 months prior to the travel date and you can buy a ticket 2 months prior to the travel date.

These are not hard and fast dates though because I just reserved seats on the Bernina Express 115 days out from the travel date. I suggest you keep checking leading up to your travel dates. They seem to sell out pretty quickly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2019 at 17:10:31 #904687

Hi Brent and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’ve just had a look on the SBB app and it seems that you can buy tickets 2 months in advance at the earliest.

The Swiss travel system is not really set up for dynamic pricing so there is no point in buying tickets in advance unless you are buying a travel pass or reservations for a panoramic train.

If you’re only buying point to point tickets (if you’re not travelling that much or only on set dates) you can benefit from supersaver tickets, available one month in advance. For this, other purchase options without the 2 month limit, and more detailed information, have a look at: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland

If you’re planning lots of travel, a rail pass may be a better option, of which there are many available depending on your needs: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

Hope this helps and good luck planning your trip!

Maria.

• The thread ‘How far in advance can I buy Swiss train tickets?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.