Occupancy indicators on SBB timetables

• swisscat
    Participant
    18 posts
    19 July 2014 at 15:55:10 #806526

When the occupancy indicators show “Very high occupancy levels expected” does this mean that there’s a chance we won’t get on the train, or just that we’re not likely to find any seats. Do Swiss trains have limits on numbers or is it like here in the UK where we just squeeze onto a train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 July 2014 at 17:36:50 #840698

Hi swisscat,

It means that it may be more difficult to find seats, but you will always be allowed to board. If it’s really too packed you can just wait for the next train, but I have never experienced that myself.

swisscat
    Participant
    18 posts
    20 July 2014 at 18:14:02 #840699

Good, that’s what I was hoping, thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2014 at 22:05:11 #840700

But Arno, is there not an option to reserve a seat? If so how far in advance must this be done?

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 July 2014 at 9:55:32 #840701

The timetable shows the trains for the trip you intend to make. If you click the plus (+) icon for a specific connection, the column “Information” will show whether reservations are required (almost never), advised or possible (a bold ‘R’). In general, booking seats as early as possible is best, but for trains that do not require to book seats, doing this late is usually no problem as most travelers will not book seats.

• The thread ‘Occupancy indicators on SBB timetables’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.