October weekend: Glacier Express segment doable?

• Fatima_Khan
    Participant
    3 posts
    9 August 2022 at 15:10:55 #828018

Hi,

I’m planning to do a weekend trip to Switzerland on 1st and 2nd October 2022 for my husbands birthday. I want to book the glacier express as we really want to see the panoramic views of the Swiss Alps. The train journeys online are showing 8-9 hours long. I don think we want to spend a whole day on the train as we are only going for 2 nights.

I wanted to know which is the best airport to fly into between Zurich and Geneva airport if i want to see the Swiss Alps or the French Alps?

I also wanted to know which stations are best to depart from and arrive into on the Glacier express, as i don’t want to be on the train for 9 hours so a shorter journey is preferable maybe like 4 hours.

Grateful if you can provide some advice on this.

Thanks

Fatima

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 August 2022 at 19:09:59 #945387

Hi Fatima,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

The Glacier Express route is explained in detail here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere. It takes about 8 hours to complete the entire route but if you have a tight schedule, you can do part of the route as a day trip. If you’re flying in via Zurich, your option is: From Zurich: take a train to Chur and board the Glacier Express there. Get off the train in Brig. I recommend spending a night here. There are regular train service from Brig to Geneva if you plan to fly out from a different airport. Would this option work for you?

You can use the SBB timetable to check train schedules and plan your journeys.

regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2022 at 21:29:39 #945388

The problem with the Glacier Express is that it is so well marketed that visiting tourists think it is the only way to see the Alps. You can see the best of the Swiss Alps without going anywhere near the Glacier Express, which is just one special (extra fare) train whereas Switzerland is covered with railways on which trains run through very scenic mountains.

It sounds like you are really just going for a ‘long weekend aka ‘short break’ so the Glacier Express isn’t really suited to that sort of trip. In fact if you are short of time, you are much better off taking a single train excursion from your base (wherever that may be – your choice) than stressing about the Glacier Express.

I recommend a simple train journey to a high altitude, such as Zermatt. For western Swiss alps (eg Zermatt) Geneva is best. Zermatt is surrounded by 4000 metre peaks including the Matterhorn and the highest mountain on Swiss territory – the Dufourspitze.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    10 August 2022 at 5:59:18 #945389

My husband and I will be in Switzerland (36th time…) again in October too, and we will be taking the Glacier Express as well. It’s one of the things I am looking most forward to. It is such a great experience, more space, more information, it’s great.

I hope you will enjoy the trip, but I’m pretty sure you will.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2022 at 8:14:34 #945390

Hi there,

thank you both 1960man and Olga for sharing your thoughts and experiences regarding the Glacier Express.

In my opinion if you have a valid rail pass (like Swiss Travel Pass) and if you like train traveling (I do), it is worth taking the Glacier Express as then you only have to reserve your seats and I think that is reasonably priced for the comfort you get.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘October weekend: Glacier Express segment doable?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.