Oeschinensee panorama hike – worth it?

• HS412
    Participant
    8 posts
    16 August 2021 at 20:16:48 #826036

Hello all –

My trip is coming up quite quickly – I am planning to be in Switzerland from August 29th to September 5th. While I wish it could be longer, only a few of those days are scheduled for sightseeing, the rest are for business.

In finalizing my plans for the Bernese Oberland (base: Murren), I came across Oeschinensee. Wondering whether it is worth it to head there on the way into the Bernese Oberland or on the way out (headed to Lausanne)? If I were to go, I would do the Panorama Hike.

My other planned hikes (assuming good weather) are:

– Schynige Platte

– North Face with Sprutz waterfall (Murren)

– Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg then Eiger Trail from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen

– Lauterbrunnen Valley

I have a half day to fill (6-7 hours including transport) – I was considering First/Bachalpsee (concerned about crowds and weather) or Pfingstegg to Baregg hut. But, Oeschinensee seems like a much better lake option than Bachalpsee, weather permitting.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

H

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    17 August 2021 at 8:09:53 #936232

Hi H,

If you are based in Mürren, the practical option if you have time constraint is obviously to hike from First to Bachalpsee or Pfingstegg to Baregg Hut. To get to Oeschinensee from Mürren involves taking a 2-hour train journey to Kandersteg and then a cable car up, so is best done as a day trip. Grindelwald is just on the other side of the valley from Mürren and easily accessible with the train. You can plan your journey using the SBB timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Regards,

Anna

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    17 August 2021 at 11:54:59 #936233

My dad and I once hiked from Mürren to Kandersteg (spending the night in the mtns along the way) and the coolest view I’ve ever seen in my life (partly because I was tired and delirious by then lol) was crossing the mountains and finding Oeschinensee below. Amazing! So I know the hike around it would be great as well. I had it on my itinerary for the last month when my family was there but honestly it was 90%- 100% rain every single time I checked even when other towns had good weather. I adjusted my trip several times in the middle of our travels based on weather and Kandersteg just never cleared up enough to make the detour. Next time…

Anna
    6382 posts
    17 August 2021 at 12:40:51 #936234

Hi Xpresso,

That’s a shame, but yes the weather has been really wet this summer 🙁

Oeschinensee is one of my favourite mountain lakes. We make it a point to visit each summer but this year the weather has been windy, wet and unpredictable.

Hope you get to visit Kandersteg in your next trip.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Oeschinensee panorama hike – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.