Open panoramic cars on Bernina Express

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
rhondaw1958
rhondaw1958
6 posts
May 25, 2018 - 3:12 PM

I found this link on another post (which I can't find now) about open panoramic cars

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/new-schilthorn-cable-car-reservation-process

It looks like the 9:41 train from Tirano to St Moritz on the July 10 would have an open panoramic car. I assume I need to make a seat reservation to make sure we can get in one of the open cars? Is this true? If so, I can't figure out how to do that. I have gone through the booking process as far as I can without actually buying a ticket and I can't see where to reserve a specific seat.

It also looks like the times it shows for the open cars are regular trains, not the official Bernina Express. Is this true? That's what we are planning to do anyway. Just curious.

I love this website and forum. It has been so very helpful! Thanks in advance for your help on this

rockoyster
rockoyster
3995 posts
expert
May 25, 2018 - 9:16 PM in reply to rhondaw1958

Hello Rhonda and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I’m not sure how you reserve seats in the open coaches.

Maybe someone else will know or you can email RHB. Let us know the answer if you get one.

Last modified on May 25, 2018 - 9:17 PM by rockoyster
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 26, 2018 - 1:52 AM in reply to rhondaw1958

Hi Rhonda,

>> It looks like the 9:41 train from Tirano to St Moritz on the July 10 would have an open panoramic car.

Yes.

>> I assume I need to make a seat reservation to make sure we can get in one of the open cars? Is this true?

No, reservations are not possible on regional trains, only on the Bernina Express trains.

If you can, get to Tirano station well before the train is due to depart, to have the best chance of getting a seat in the open carriage. The train will ascend to an altitude of 2,253 metres, so have some warm and windproof clothing on hand, even if it is a warm, sunny day in Tirano.

>> It also looks like the times it shows for the open cars are regular trains, not the official Bernina Express. Is this true?

Yes.

Alpenrose

Last modified on May 26, 2018 - 1:54 AM by Removed user
rhondaw1958
rhondaw1958
6 posts
May 26, 2018 - 2:08 AM in reply to Removed user

Thank you, Alpenrose666!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018