Opinions on our first 3 days please?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2016 at 4:11:10 #809297

I’ve come up with an itinerary for our 8 day visit in late August, and I’d really appreciate any opinions or critiques that anyone can offer. It will be my husband’s and my first visit to Switzerland. We’ve based our choices on where we are travelling from (Italy) and where we are going to (France).

I have already purchased 8 day 2nd class Swiss Travel Passes. All of our hotels include breakfast each morning, and I’ve made dinner reservations for each evening. Fingers crossed for sunny days!

Day 1: ST MORITZ

We will be arrive by regional train in Tirano. Instead of the Bernina Express, we’ve decided to take the regional train direct from Tirano to St Moritz.

Hauser Hotel’s shuttle will pick us up at the train station at about 14:30, and we will leave our luggage at their reception if our room is not ready.

We’re a short walk from the Schulhausplatz station. We’ll bus to Punt Muragl, and take the funicular up to Muottas Muragl which stays open until late in August. When we are ready we’ll reverse our trip back to our hotel.

If by chance the weather isn’t clear, we will walk from our hotel, take the escalator down to the lakefront, and enjoy the walk around Lake St Moritz.

We have reservations at 19:30 at our hotel to try a Pioda (Hot Stone) dinner.

Day 2: ZERMATT

Hotel Hauser will shuttle us back to the St. Moritz train station.

Since it’s such a long trip, we decided to splurge and I booked us two 1st class reservations on the Glacier Express with the 3 course lunch menu.

Hotel Alpenrose’s shuttle will pick us up from the Zermatt train station. I chose this hotel because it is very near the Matterhorn Valley Station. A short walk there and we will travel up to Trockener Steg for a Gondola Fondue evening, organized by the Swiss Food Festival.

Day 3: ZERMATT

We will be in dire need of clean clothes at this point, so we will take our dirty laundry to Doli for their same day service.

After dropping it off we’ll walk to the Gornergrat station and use our Swiss Travel Passes for 50% off. We’ll take the trip all the way to the top, sitting on the right hand side. After enjoying the view from Gornergrat we will sit on the left hand side going down, and get off at the first stop.

We’ll walk the easy Riffelseeweg hike from Rotenboden to Riffelberg, and then reboard the next descending train. The next stop is Riffelalp, and we’ll get off and walk the short distance to Bergrestaurant Alphitta for lunch.

After lunch we’ll see how much energy we have and either take the next train back down to Zermatt, or walk the Arvenweg hike down.

We’ll pick up our clean clothes at Doli when we walk by there.

If the weather is bad this day we will explore the town of Zermatt and visit the Matterhorn Museum (free with our STPs).

Dinner will be casual at Sparky’s or another restaurant. If we are very tired, we’ll return to our hotel and eat dinner there.

That’s the first three days. Thanks in advance for your patience in reading. And advice or suggestions so far?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 May 2016 at 12:11:48 #852413

Hi Canadarocks,

My compliments for your detailed research! I don’t think there’s anything left to add or change. Have fun!

The website suffers from some technical issues right now so you may not be able to immediately reply. Sorry for the inconvenience, we are working on it.

• The thread ‘Opinions on our first 3 days please?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.