Our December Swiss trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2011 at 10:12:32 #804109

Happy 2011 to all forum users! As promised a report on our trip to Switzerland in December. We stayed at Best Western Hotel Continental in Biel (highly recommended – even got discount with Swiss Travel Pass!). Arrived to find snow though it gradually disappeared while we were there. A bus stop right outside hotel to station. Our main purpose on this visit was to go to as many Christmas markets as we could fit in to our brief stay (Mon to Sat). After checking in we went to Biel’s own market which was quite delightful – lots of local craftsmen, some were demonstrating on site and all were eager to explain their techniques etc. In general we found less emphasis on food and drink in Swiss markets compared with markets in Germany and a greater variety of crafts. On Tues we went to Basel which was impressive and very enjoyable despite rain on and off during the day. Wed we went to Montreux which definitely had a French flair about it – really excellent atmosphere and there was a small Russian market as well. We went to Lausanne from Montreux for brief visit – smaller market, pony rides for the children – then back to Montreux for food! (Big advantage of Swiss Pass – can change plans and just hop on and off trains as the mood takes you!) Thurs went first to Zurich – visited a few small markets, then went to Winterthur – lovely journey because we passed through areas where there was still snow making for lovely views. We liked Winterthur – never been there before – and found an amazing massive delicatessen as well as another two very good markets. We returned to Zurich to the huge market in the railway station – huge tree decorated entirely in Swarovsky items. Fri went to Geneva – the only place to disappoint us (we have visited the city before and it’s a lovely city but the market was poor) – so we went back to the station and went to Bern which boasted two really good markets. We paid two more visits to Biel market late on Fri p.m. and on Sat a.m. before we had to leave for the airport. So all in all we had a lovely holiday, bought some charming things in the different styles offered by the various cities and would thoroughly recommend Switzerland to all Christmas market addicts.
    We have just started planning our summer trip and I will post again later to let you know what we plan for this year. Alles gut. Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    2 February 2011 at 11:37:35 #832149

Hello Maggie, I really enjoyed reading your report! It sounds like you had fun again and I’m looking forward to the plans for your summer trip. Thank you for posting this :-)! Always nice to hear from Switzerland lovers (it takes one to know one…).

Annika
    7104 posts
    2 February 2011 at 12:17:20 #832150

Hi Maggie! Thank you for sharing your experiences! I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your Christmas market tour. You definitely made the most out of this trip, by visiting so many different markets. In your other post, I read that the bus trip between the railway station and your hotel was fine as well. I can imagine that you’re already looking forward to your next summer trip. Please let us know what plans you have, and keep posting your questions and updates!

• The thread ‘Our December Swiss trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.