Panoramic coach in Bernina Express

Panoramic coach in Bernina Express

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Pritishpanke
Pritishpanke
4 posts
Apr 27, 2018 - 3:04 PM

1. Is panoramic coach available on entire Bernina Express ? or just 1st class ?

2. Do all four trains departing from Tirana have these panorama (large window ) coaches ?

3. Can Tirano be my point of entry into Switzerland (for using Swiss Pass)? I would pre-purchase and pre book my seats on BEX.

Any advise or help is appreciated.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3339 posts
expert
Apr 27, 2018 - 11:12 PM in reply to Pritishpanke

Hello Pritishpanke and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. There are large windows in both classes. See pictures at www.seat61.com/Bernina Express.htm.

2. Any train denoted BEX on the SBB timetable has Panoramic coaches. You’ll find the RHB timetable here www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info.

3. Yes. The BEX is free with Swiss Travel Pass. But you need to pay for seat reservation. You can nominate you have STP in purchase process.

Pritishpanke
Pritishpanke
4 posts
Apr 28, 2018 - 1:50 AM in reply to rockoyster

@rockoyster Thanks a lot for a prompt reply. I must appreciate the good work you guys are doing here.

1. Just for confirmation, train no 950 and 960 from Tirano are both BEX aren't they ? (Since the link you provided just names then as train numbers and not as BEX)

2. I plan to travel in Italy & Austria with Eurail pass. For Switzerland I plan on getting a Swiss Pass.

Sequence is start in Italy then Switzerland and Finish in Austria & Germany

So I will be buying a non continuous Eurail pass so that after Swiss tour , I Can again use Eurail pass in Austria. Would you recommend this ? Our there are better ways of doing this ?

Lucas
Lucas
5491 posts
expert &
Apr 28, 2018 - 2:12 AM in reply to Pritishpanke

Hi Pritishpanke,

1. It would be easier to use the Swiss railways timetable - you'll see BEX noted there.
  2. Ok
  3. That can work for you. The Eurail passes are only worth the cost if you are doing a fair bit of train travel in those countries. It may not be worth it if you are only taking a couple trains.
    Read about how to choose the best rail pass here & check prices on trips in other countries here.
Last modified on Apr 28, 2018 - 2:13 AM by Lucas
rockoyster
rockoyster
3339 posts
expert
Apr 28, 2018 - 2:56 AM in reply to Pritishpanke

Both are BEX but the 950 goes to Chur, the 960 to Davos. So it depends where you are heading. The RHB timetable I linked to does indeed show train numbers if you scroll down a bit.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018