Panoramic coach in Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 15:04:33 #815558

1. Is panoramic coach available on entire Bernina Express ? or just 1st class ?

2. Do all four trains departing from Tirana have these panorama (large window ) coaches ?

3. Can Tirano be my point of entry into Switzerland (for using Swiss Pass)? I would pre-purchase and pre book my seats on BEX.

Any advise or help is appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 April 2018 at 23:12:46 #883369

Hello Pritishpanke and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. There are large windows in both classes. See pictures at http://www.seat61.com/Bernina Express.htm.

2. Any train denoted BEX on the SBB timetable has Panoramic coaches. You’ll find the RHB timetable here http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info.

3. Yes. The BEX is free with Swiss Travel Pass. But you need to pay for seat reservation. You can nominate you have STP in purchase process.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 1:50:07 #883370

@rockoyster Thanks a lot for a prompt reply. I must appreciate the good work you guys are doing here.

1. Just for confirmation, train no 950 and 960 from Tirano are both BEX aren’t they ? (Since the link you provided just names then as train numbers and not as BEX)

2. I plan to travel in Italy & Austria with Eurail pass. For Switzerland I plan on getting a Swiss Pass.

Sequence is start in Italy then Switzerland and Finish in Austria & Germany

So I will be buying a non continuous Eurail pass so that after Swiss tour , I Can again use Eurail pass in Austria. Would you recommend this ? Our there are better ways of doing this ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 2:12:53 #883371

Hi Pritishpanke,

1. It would be easier to use the Swiss railways timetable – you’ll see BEX noted there.
    2. Ok
    3. That can work for you. The Eurail passes are only worth the cost if you are doing a fair bit of train travel in those countries. It may not be worth it if you are only taking a couple trains.
      Read about how to choose the best rail pass here & check prices on trips in other countries here.
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 April 2018 at 2:56:26 #883372

Both are BEX but the 950 goes to Chur, the 960 to Davos. So it depends where you are heading. The RHB timetable I linked to does indeed show train numbers if you scroll down a bit.

• The thread ‘Panoramic coach in Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.