Paris to Zurich TGV in late September

• zimmuo
    Participant
    15 posts
    29 June 2022 at 18:24:10 #827643

Hello! I recently purchased tickets for Lyria TGV from Paris to Zurich in late September. I read somewhere that the weekend of 24th and 25th of September might have railway work.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if this weekend’s trains will definitely be affected?
    2. Since this information was not noted when I purchased the ticket, will they be sending me an update later if my trip will be affected?
    3. This is a direct reservation currently. If we are forced to change trains in Basel to take an SBB train, does anyone know how much additional time it would take to reach Zurich? The Lyria is supposed to take 4h4min. The transfer times I’ve seen seem to be about 10 minutes. Not sure how much slower the SBB train would be from Basel to Zurich compared to the TGV.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 19:21:59 #943778

Hi zimmuo and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

I’ve checked the SBB timetable and there is no sign of any construction on that line during the end of September.

This is the only one I am aware of: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/no-basel-zurich-tgv-may-july-2022. But this one does not affect your trip.

Where did you buy your tickets? Did that site say anything?

Updates depending on the site. If you’ve purchased your ticket from SNCF and you download the app, you should get a notice.

There are many trains from Basel to Zurich, the fastest ones (direct trains) are in Zurich in less than an hour.

Ildiko

For other readers – Learn more about traveling from France to Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/france

zimmuo
    Participant
    15 posts
    29 June 2022 at 22:43:19 #943779

Thank you, @IIdiko. They were purchased from SNCF. I have not downloaded the app though.There was no note (at least that I noticed) at time of purchase, as I was focusing on the ticket stating it was “direct” and there were no stops in Basel.

I hope you’re right and it stays that way. Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 22:49:48 #943780

We don’t know yet if there will be any changes in September.

However, the TGV between Basel and Zurich is every so often replaced by a ’emergency’ Swiss train anyway. This usually happens if there is a serious delay to the TGV on the French leg of the journey.

Do not worry if this happens or you have to change trains in Basel for any other reason. Changing trains at Basel is quite easy, and there are at least 5 trains per hour between Basel and Zurich. Non-stop normal Swiss trains take the same time as the TGV because they travel on the same tracks.

zimmuo
    Participant
    15 posts
    30 June 2022 at 2:12:12 #943781

Thank you both!

• The thread ‘Paris to Zurich TGV in late September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.