Pas de Chevres and Col de Reidmatten

• msurosey
    Participant
    3 posts
    7 December 2019 at 23:13:44 #824616

I would like to walk from Arolla to Cabane des Dix in July. However the more research I do, the more concerned I am about crossing by either the col or the ladders. Everything I have found indicates that the route from the cabane to Col de Reidmatten is very loose and slippery. And I have also found information that although the ladders are quite stable, the area below the ladders has had several rock falls nearly resulting in severe injury. Can anyone provide a recent experience with these two crossings? Thank you. msurosey

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2019 at 11:53:14 #926174

Hello msurosey,

Thanks for your question! I have attached a thread regarding that route that was posted by a member. Perhaps that will help give you better insight. I’m sure there will MySwissAlps members that will comment on their personal experiences on those two crossings. It’s also a good idea to tell us a bit about your personal fitness and your age, to help the members out with their answers.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    8 December 2019 at 19:36:40 #926175

Hi again Msurosey,

I did the Pas de l’Echelle …about 55 years ago with my parents, so that does not quite qualify as “recent experience”! You should read the very thorough report on the link provided by Suzanne, although the route was travelled the other way round.

The 1938 ladders have been replaced in 2015. Pas de l’Echelle (PE) is lower than Col de Riedmatten (CR). The Switzerland Mobility hiking map indicates CR as the recommended route of section 21 of the Alpine Passes Trail, and PE as an alternative itinerary. Note that the downhill trail from CR towards Cabane des Dix is very steep. In both cases you should be well trained and well equipped. That means good mountain boots and hiking poles. Don’t do it alone, and give up if it rains.

There is an outfitter store in Arolla (this I know from more recent experience!), you can stop by and ask them about the best alternative. My guess is the ladders.

• The thread ‘Pas de Chevres and Col de Reidmatten’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.