Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Pas de Chevres and Col de Reidmatten

Pas de Chevres and Col de Reidmatten

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
msurosey
msurosey
3 posts
Dec 7, 2019 - 11:13 PM

I would like to walk from Arolla to Cabane des Dix in July. However the more research I do, the more concerned I am about crossing by either the col or the ladders. Everything I have found indicates that the route from the cabane to Col de Reidmatten is very loose and slippery. And I have also found information that although the ladders are quite stable, the area below the ladders has had several rock falls nearly resulting in severe injury. Can anyone provide a recent experience with these two crossings? Thank you. msurosey

Suzanne
Suzanne
299 posts
top member &
Dec 8, 2019 - 11:53 AM

Hello msurosey,

Thanks for your question! I have attached a thread regarding that route that was posted by a member. Perhaps that will help give you better insight. I'm sure there will MySwissAlps members that will comment on their personal experiences on those two crossings. It's also a good idea to tell us a bit about your personal fitness and your age, to help the members out with their answers.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Last modified on Dec 8, 2019 - 6:14 PM by Suzanne
Snowman
Snowman
724 posts
top member
Dec 8, 2019 - 7:36 PM in reply to msurosey

Hi again Msurosey,

I did the Pas de l'Echelle ...about 55 years ago with my parents, so that does not quite qualify as "recent experience"! You should read the very thorough report on the link provided by Suzanne, although the route was travelled the other way round.

The 1938 ladders have been replaced in 2015. Pas de l'Echelle (PE) is lower than Col de Riedmatten (CR). The Switzerland Mobility hiking map indicates CR as the recommended route of section 21 of the Alpine Passes Trail, and PE as an alternative itinerary. Note that the downhill trail from CR towards Cabane des Dix is very steep. In both cases you should be well trained and well equipped. That means good mountain boots and hiking poles. Don't do it alone, and give up if it rains.

There is an outfitter store in Arolla (this I know from more recent experience!), you can stop by and ask them about the best alternative. My guess is the ladders.

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020