Pass Use during Peak travel time.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2014 at 4:46:04 #806725

Hello,

A friend and I are going to be in Switzerland from the 12th to the 20th of Dec but we are trying to travel for a brief holiday via train from Zurich to Zermatt on the 17th of Dec, from Zermatt to Lucerne on the 18th and Lucerne to Zurich on the 19th.

I see that the Swiss Pass is the best deal but am concerned about seat availability or not being able to get on the train we want due to overbooking as I do understand that this is the peak season. Would we be guaranteed a place on a train regardless with the pass? Or should we instead book point to point in order to assure us each a seat on the train? As we are limited in the days that we can travel for fun (i.e. 17-19) and we would need to be assured of getting on the train in the AM on the 17th, etc.

Any advice you can offer is appreciated!

Thanks

Beth

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 November 2014 at 6:36:03 #841330

Hi Beth,

There’s no need to worry about availability. The train system in Switzerland works like city transport (subways, etc.): seats do not get booked in advance. Anyone with a pass or a ticket can board. A few exceptions apply; you can read about it here: myswissalps.com/train/reservations.

Trains can be busy in December, but the real tourist peak season will start on the 20th, when Swiss school holidays start, and holidays in many other countries as well.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Pass Use during Peak travel time.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.