Passport identification for Swiss Travel Pass

• Katialitvak
    Participant
    1 post
    9 July 2022 at 4:19:17 #827718

Hello,

Is passport identification required for Swiss pass only if you buy it online? I mean that if you buy it in the train office they identificate you once and no need to present passport in the train?

Thanks and kindest regards,

Katia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 July 2022 at 8:12:30 #944088

Hi Katia,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Some ticket controllers are more fussier than others and will request for proof of identity when you present your railpass for inspection. So always carry an ID. Not necessarily a passport. A driving license will do too as long as the details match the ones on the railpass.

You can find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse

Regards,

Anna

Bebe
    Participant
    43 posts
    9 July 2022 at 16:04:11 #944089

Anna,

Another question about ID and STP if you don’t mind. Would photos of these necessary documents suffice to show when asked rather than the original – in other words, just show proof on your phone? I would be reluctant to carry my passport everywhere.

Thanks, Bebe

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 July 2022 at 18:27:17 #944090

Hi Bebe,

I understand your concern about carrying your passport everywhere. An ID with your photo should be sufficient. Like a driving license. Based on my own personal experience, a screenshot of your passport would be acceptable too.

Regards,

Anna

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    9 July 2022 at 23:59:11 #944091

My husband and I just spent 12 days in Switzerland, traveling with Swiss Travel Passes that were bought online prior to the trip. Not once we’re we asked to show our passports when using our STP on trains, buses or boats, or when buying discounted tickets on gondolas, cable cars, etc. We still carried our passports with us for other possible identification purposes, but the STP was not one of them.

Also wanted to add that we loaded our STP into our iPhone wallet and that worked very well for the entire trip.

Bebe
    Participant
    43 posts
    10 July 2022 at 1:44:04 #944092

Thank you for this info. Although I’ve not used the Wallet app before, I had planned to put the STP and other important info on my iPhone to have easy access.

Bebe

Ouman_inokc
    Participant
    11 posts
    10 July 2022 at 1:48:37 #944093

I will also add that I’m in Switzerland now and i bought my STP from SBB website and added it to the app and this has been very convenient . I had to show an id on a train one time in Interlaken.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 July 2022 at 6:24:38 #944094

Please note that copies or screenshots of IDs do not qualify as identification. It might be accepted in many cases, but there’s no guarantee.

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    15 July 2022 at 17:22:50 #944095

We’ve just returned last week from Switzerland, where we used the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass every day of the trip. We were asked several times over the course of the 15 days for our identification to show that it matched the information on the Swiss Travel Pass. We always showed our passports, but cannot be sure if they specifically asked for our passports or just identification.

• The thread ‘Passport identification for Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.