Does my T-mobile phone work in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2019 at 15:50:56 #823135

What about phone service? Can I use my T-Mobile? I have used it in

Czech Republic without any international fees. Would a personal

hotspot be needed in Switzerland? Or is wifi on every bus and train?

• Arno
    15484 posts
    30 July 2019 at 18:05:02 #918956

Hi Rita,

I don’t know your phone and contract so I can’t tell for sure, but the phone itself probably won’t be an issue since you have already used it in Europe. Whether it’s affordable to stick to your own contract I don’t know. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard. That page should answer all questions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 July 2019 at 20:55:18 #918957

Wifi is definitely NOT available on all buses an trains. Contact T-Mobile to see what their international ROAMing rates are for data in Switzerland.

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 July 2019 at 6:06:45 #918958

Internet in the trains is based on amplified 3/4g. There’s indeed no wifi: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/internet.

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    31 July 2019 at 15:53:53 #918959

Spent 3 weeks traveling around Switzerland last September. Used my t mobile phone without any problems.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2019 at 21:29:39 #918960

Great! Good to know. thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 July 2019 at 21:40:16 #918961

The phone will work of course but isn’t the question how much it will cost to use overseas and won’t that depend on the plan you are on?

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    31 July 2019 at 23:26:27 #918962

T-mobile includes international text and data. There is a per minute fee for phone calls. I don’t remember what it is. Don’t make many calls when we are traveling abroad. Had a family emergency this year while in Paris that required a very lengthy call home. Whatever the cost, it was not enough to get my attention. I mostly use WhatsApp when communicating with home.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 August 2019 at 0:09:36 #918963

Hello Kay,

I still maintain it depends on what plan RIta is on as to how much it will cost when travelling. 🤓

From T-Mobile website “Magenta plans include unlimited texting and 2G data at no additional cost in 210+ countries/destinations.” See http://www.t-mobile.com/travel-abroad-with-simple-global.

I’m just suggesting that Rita does a little more homework to avoid an unexpected nasty surprise. I of several people who have travelled from Australia to Europe and returned home to be greeted by a substantial bill because the didn’t understand the implications of international data roaming.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2019 at 6:40:40 #918964

I appreciate your input Kay. As I said earlier in this stream, I’ve used my T-Mobile in CZ, and it worked as you say without extra charges, so I thought it probably would in Switz also. Thank you for the confirmation. I am on a family plan with my son so it’s difficult to look up exact details about which plan I have. Although I won’t be making calls, I do need to use the data plan. Kay what was your experience with wifi availability while traveling?

• The thread ‘Does my T-mobile phone work in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.