Should I include Bernina Express in itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 14:05:21 #814970

Hello all,

First of all, thank you all for your valuable time for my previous queries. But now I am little bit confused. We have planned a switzerland trip from 9-22nd of June And our base stay will be 2 nights at Zurich, 4 nights at Thun 3 nights at Montreux and 2 nights at Lucerne. Now we have 2 more nights left. Initially we planned to stay at Chur as we have a friend there and visit St Moritz and a trip in Bernina express. But, since our friend is busy in those days, we are now confused about going to chur. Is it a good idea to go ahead with Chur plan and do St Moritz and Bernina express? Or can u suggest any other location?

Thanks,

Binu

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 18:35:44 #879874

Hi Binu,

It would be a nice idea to include the Bernina Express. From where will you be leaving Switzerland? Are all your nights booked, or can you still change something?

There is a connecting Bernina Express bus from Tirano to Lugano. Lugano is very nice in June and the Italian part of Switzerland is beautiful too. An option could be to go from Thun to Montreux with the Golden Pass line. Then from Montreux to Zermatt. From there you can take the Glacier Express to Chur. From Chur you can take the Bernina Express to Lugano and from there you can continue your trip to Lucerne.

You could do with one night less in Zurich and one night less in Montreux.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 5:37:43 #879875

Thank you very much Chantal. We are reaching 9th night at Zurich. That’s why we have booked our base stay there, so that next day can go for Rhine falls. And 11th morning itself going to Thun. So, it’s only 1 day at Zurich.

Yes, we have booked our accommodation at Zurich, Thun, Montreux and Lucerne.

Can you pl guide me in the following? From my understanding Zermatt is 3 hrs from Montreux. And glacier express is another 8hrs to Chur.So,won’t it be hectic?

Thanks

Binu

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 6:39:10 #879876

Hi Binu,

Montreux – Zermatt is 2h30 hours and Zermatt – Chur is 5h30. I would then spend a night in Zermatt. Since you’ve booked all your accommodation, this wouldn’t make sense now. Then I would just go from Lucerne to St. Moritz and spend one or two nights there.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 March 2018 at 7:32:52 #879877

Hi Binu,

If you want to go from Montreux to Chur via the Glacier Express, you can optionally skip Zermatt. So the trip would look like Montreux – Brig – Glacier Express to Chur (or all the way to St. Moritz) from there. Still a long trip, but you’ll save at least 2.5 hours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 7:50:12 #879878

Thank you Arno. That’s a good idea

Thanks

Binu

• The thread ‘Should I include Bernina Express in itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.