Please advise on 2 day itinerary for Lauterbrunnen

• selenam
    Participant
    14 posts
    3 October 2018 at 0:56:15 #818576

We are 2 couples, ages 40-50, in good physical shape. We are staying at Hotel Silberhorn in Lauterbrunnen for 3 nights in June, 2019. I welcome your feedback on the below itinerary. Are the steps in the correct order and is it do-able within the time frame? I understand that going all the way up to Schilthorn and Jungfrau will depend on weather. Thank you!!

Day 1

Cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp

Hike from Grutschalp to Murren (2 hours)

Cable cars up to Schilthorn

Eat at Piz Gloria

Come down from Schilthorn on the gondola

Cable cars from Murren to Gimmelwald to Stechelberg

From Stechelberg, take the scenic walk in the valley back to Lauterbrunnen (2 hours)

Stop at Trummelbach Falls and Staubbach Falls

Day 2

Wengernalp Railway to Wengen, then on to Kleine Scheidegg. Change to Jungfraubahn train

After Jungfrau, take train back to Kleine Scheidegg, then Wengen, then Grindlewald

Ride Gondola from Grindelwald to Mannlichen

Hike down to Kleine Scheidegg (2 hour descent)

Hop train back to Lauterbrunnen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2018 at 3:22:20 #897195

Hi Selenam– These are very pleasant and scenic walks, all of which I’ve done. However, given your age and fitness level, I’d recommend considering something a bit more committing than these relatively flat or downhill outings. I think you’ll find that with a bit more effort you can realize a whole other level of Swiss hiking. If you’re game, I’d suggest the following, subject to weather and possible snow conditions, especially if doing this in early (vs mid to late) June:

1. Hiking up Schilthorn, starting with lift/train/funicular to Allmendhubel. Take lift down or hike roundtrip, as you may prefer.

2. Hiking from Muerren to Schiltalp, or even Sefinnenfurgge, and back. Stunning scenery, especially on the return.

3. Hiking Gimmelwald — Sefininwald- Tanzbodeli- Obersteinberg- Oberhornsee- Gimmelwald, or any of several variations in that area. This is where the locals go to hike around Lauterbrunnen.

The Mannlichen- Kleine Scheidegg route is a classic, although it can be a bit crowded.

Enjoy.

NTL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2018 at 14:40:02 #897196

Hi, Your itinerary sounds great. Just one thing to note, I dont think the Grindelwald to Mannlichen cableway is running next June. I believe it is closed for the summer whilst they are working on the new V cableway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2018 at 15:14:14 #897197

Hi selenam and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Note on day 2 you don’t return to Wengen on your return from Jungfraujoch – you can go direct to Grindelwald.

Otherwise looks like a nice 2 days!

*The Grindelwald to Mannlichen cableway will be closed as it is replaced with its own new cable cars between April 2019 or so and December 2019 roughly. Details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

selenam
    Participant
    14 posts
    4 October 2018 at 13:06:30 #897198

Thank you everyone for the helpful information! I have been reading this forum for months while doing my planning and it has been truly invaluable. Now that I have an itinerary, I will being looking at transportation options. We are traveling from Lake Como to Lauterbrunnen and then on to Germany, so I may have more questions. Thanks again!

selenam
    Participant
    14 posts
    8 October 2018 at 20:22:03 #897199

Hi Lucas – I have a follow-up question:

Given that the gondola from Grindelwald to Mannlichen will be closed, can I return to Wengen from Jungfrau instead and take a gondola from there to Mannlichen in order to hike down from there to Kleine Scheidegg?

Thank you, I appreciate your time and expertise!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2018 at 8:14:56 #897200

Yes, the Wengen-Männlichen cable car is operating as normal so you can access the hike to Kleine Scheidegg from Wengen.

selenam
    Participant
    14 posts
    9 October 2018 at 12:42:50 #897201

Thank you!

• The thread ‘Please advise on 2 day itinerary for Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.