Please help me plan the trip to Swizterland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2011 at 14:15:09 #804828

Hi,

We are visiting Switzerland in end of Jan for 4 days, or possible 5 days. Will arrive Zurich, then base at Bern. We want to visit the cities and Alps. But since there are so many mounts there, which one is the best to visit? Especially it will be Winter time.

Here is my tentative plan, can you please help me if it workable?
    Day 1: arrive Zurich in the morning, sightseeing the city for half day. Then go to Bern (use Swiss Pass), couple hours sightseeing if possible.
    Day 2: Go to Lucerne. Take train to visit mount platus or mount Tilits, which one worth visit? Come back Lucerne in the afternoon, and do sightseeing of the town. Return to Bern at night.
    Day 3: Go to Geneva, sightseeing of the city in the morning. Go to Lausanne in the afternoon, quick sightseeing there, go back to Bern at night. Can we visit these two cities in one day? We are not meseum fans, so didn’t plan go for any.
    Day 4: Go to Zermatt, see Matterhorn from the town. Go back to Bern in the afternoon, sightseeing Bern if there is time.
    Day 5: Leave from Zurich.

Thanks very much if anybody could help me on this plan. Or if you think there is any other good place worth visit? Do I need to add one more day for my trip? A 9 year old boy will be traveling with me.

Thank you very much.

Sherrilina

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 December 2011 at 9:27:26 #834614

Hi Sherrilina! I think some days of your itinerary are too full. So yes, if it’s possible an extra day would help a lot. For example: I wouldn’t visit both Zurich and Bern on one day, both Zermatt and Bern on the same day is too much, and you won’t manage to travel from Bern to Geneva and back and visit two towns all in one day. The timetable informs you about traveling times. This will help you to find out what’s doable and what isn’t.

An alternative schedule could look like this:
    – day 1: Zurich
    – day 2: Lucerne and Pilatus or Titlis. Pilatus is very close to Lucerne, so that may be better if you want to combine it with exploring the town;
    – day 3: Geneva (please consider using the beautiful Golden Pass line for your trip Lucerne-Geneva). You won’t be able to do both Geneva and Lausanne and travel back to Bern as well. It’s better to stay in Geneva or Lausanne for your visit to Zermatt the next day;
    – day 4: Zermatt;
    – day 5: Bern;
    – day 6: Zurich.

Does that help you out? Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2011 at 16:58:42 #834615

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply. I will adjust my trip based on your suggestion.
    But I have to base at Bern, so is that possible to do day trip from Bern to Geneva or Lucerne/Titlis?
    Also does the Golden Pass line go through Bern?
    If I add one more day to my trip, what the best option you think for transportation the days not covered by the 4 days from Swiss Pass?
    Also, if I buy two Swiss Pass, but travelers will not travel together all the time, can I still buy the saver pass or not?
    And if I have to choose between Geneva and Zermatt, which place you would suggest to go?

Sorry that I have so many questions. I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Sherrilina

Annika
    7116 posts
    20 December 2011 at 14:47:52 #834616

Hello Sherrilina. Day trips to Geneva and Lucerne/Titlis are doable from Bern, but they’ll result in very full travel days. It’s best to check the timetable and decide for yourself whether you’re fine with the amount of traveling involved or not.

No, the Golden Pass line doesn’t cross Bern.

If you add an extra day to your trip, you could reserve that one for a city visit. Your hotel or apartment may offer a guest card or a similar product, allowing free or reduced traveling in the town and its immediate surroundings.

Geneva and Zermatt are very different. Geneva is interesting for its city centre; Zermatt is a tourist town right between the Alps. You can best try to find out what appeals to you most.

I hope you’ll be able to decide and have a wonderful trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2012 at 16:23:45 #834617

Annika,

Thank you very much for your help. I have revised my plan as following. I will still base at Bern, and do day trips from Bern.
    Day 1: Arrive Zurich, go to Bern.
    Day 2: Day trip from Bern to Geneva
    Day 3: Day trip from Bern to Lucerne/Titlis
    Day 4: Day trip from Bern to Interlaken. I don’t plan to get on Jungfrau, is there a nice place that has a good view of all three mountains for Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau?
    Day 5: Day trip from Bern to Matterhorn.
    Day 6: Back to Zurich, and leave.

How do you think about this plan? Also another question is where should I buy Swiss pass? I remembered reading posts that buying in US online is cheaper than buying in Switzerland. but when I check the price on your website, looks like it’s cheaper to buy Switzerland local? And should I buy 4 days pass or 8 days pass? For 4 days pass, I still need transportation coverage for day 1 & day 6 between Zurich/Bern.

Again, thank you very much for your help. This website is so nice and has lots of information.

Sherrilina

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 January 2012 at 8:27:28 #834618

Hello Sherrilina! If you’re fine with traveling times (especially those on day 2 and 5), this looks like a good itinerary to me. An alternative to the Jungfraujoch is the Schilthorn, which offers great views of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau.

As for the Swiss Pass prices: most resellers have just increased their prices. That’s why you’ll see that buying online currently isn’t cheaper than buying locally. Prices are adapted quite often though, so this may well be a temporary situation. You can buy online up to about 5 days before departure, so you could wait until then. Prices may have dropped again by that time.

There’s only a small price difference between a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass + regular tickets Zurich-Bern, or an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass (the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass option being about CHF 6.00 cheaper).

• The thread ‘Please help me plan the trip to Swizterland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.