Point A to Point B tickets and boarding times

• traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    10 December 2016 at 15:29:23 #810433

Hi,

1) If I buy a ticket from Point A to Point B, is the ticket valid for the whole day so I can board anytime or must I specify what time I wish to board the train before I can purchase the ticket?

Purchase options are for online, machine, manned counter or app as I havent decided yet.

The trips are tentatively:

(Each trip is on a separate day)

Zurich Airport to Engelberg

Engelberg to Lucerne

Engelberg to Grindelwald

Grindelwald to Zurich Airport

All day trips within Jungfrau (assuming I dont buy the Travel Pass)

2a) when buying from a machine, is there a printout of the route and intermediate stops or do I have to go to the manned counter for that?

2b) If buying from the sbb app, is it an e-ticket on our phone screen that we show to the conductor on the train? How do we use this to exit a station?

3) When buying tickets on the bus eg in Engelberg or Grindelwald, must we have the exact fare to give the driver?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2016 at 10:29:42 #857367

1) You can board every train on this route

2) On a machine you can see every route you like in the Timetable. I don’t no off you can it print out, but you can write it over.

3) The busdriver likes it very much you pay not with “big money”. But he or she can change. Pay only in CHF.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    11 December 2016 at 11:15:06 #857368

Hi Brahms, So the ticket I buy online or from the machine is valid for the whole day and any time? If its from the machine, do I need to validate the ticket?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2016 at 14:26:12 #857369

A ticket out of a machine no need to validate, when the day off travel is on the ticket printed. You must choice the right day (and class) on the machine. When there is no day on the ticket, you must validate it on the station or platform.

The ticket is valid on the hole day, you can self choice witch train you want to travel to and back.

It is also permitted to go out the train on a station on your way, and take a next train.

Greeting from the Nederlands, Brahms

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    11 December 2016 at 15:02:14 #857370

Ok thanks Brahms.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 December 2016 at 16:09:33 #857371

Yes, the above is how it works. Some regions and towns (like urban transport in Zürich) have lime limited tickets as explained here.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    11 December 2016 at 16:21:28 #857372

Thanks for sharing the link, Arno.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2016 at 13:39:53 #857373

2b) If buying from the sbb app, is it an e-ticket on our phone screen that we show to the conductor on the train? How do we use this to exit a station?

Yes, you show the conductor the eTicket on your phone screen. Station exits don’t have ticket barriers: you just walk straight out.

3) When buying tickets on the bus eg in Engelberg or Grindelwald, must we have the exact fare to give the driver?

At some times of the year at least, there is a free shuttle bus from Engelberg railway station to the Titlis cable car station, so you don’t need a ticket. It was operating when I was there at the end of August 2016 and will be operating again between 10 December 2016 and 17 April 2017.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Point A to Point B tickets and boarding times’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.