Point A to Point B tickets and boarding times

Point A to Point B tickets and boarding times

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
traveljet
traveljet
90 posts
Dec 10, 2016 - 3:29 PM

Hi,

1) If I buy a ticket from Point A to Point B, is the ticket valid for the whole day so I can board anytime or must I specify what time I wish to board the train before I can purchase the ticket?

Purchase options are for online, machine, manned counter or app as I havent decided yet.

The trips are tentatively:

(Each trip is on a separate day)

Zurich Airport to Engelberg

Engelberg to Lucerne

Engelberg to Grindelwald

Grindelwald to Zurich Airport

All day trips within Jungfrau (assuming I dont buy the Travel Pass)

2a) when buying from a machine, is there a printout of the route and intermediate stops or do I have to go to the manned counter for that?

2b) If buying from the sbb app, is it an e-ticket on our phone screen that we show to the conductor on the train? How do we use this to exit a station?

3) When buying tickets on the bus eg in Engelberg or Grindelwald, must we have the exact fare to give the driver?

Thanks.

Brahms
Brahms
320 posts
top member
Dec 11, 2016 - 10:29 AM

1) You can board every train on this route

2) On a machine you can see every route you like in the Timetable. I don't no off you can it print out, but you can write it over.

3) The busdriver likes it very much you pay not with "big money". But he or she can change. Pay only in CHF.

traveljet
traveljet
90 posts
Dec 11, 2016 - 11:15 AM in reply to Brahms

Hi Brahms, So the ticket I buy online or from the machine is valid for the whole day and any time? If its from the machine, do I need to validate the ticket?

Brahms
Brahms
320 posts
top member
Dec 11, 2016 - 2:26 PM

A ticket out of a machine no need to validate, when the day off travel is on the ticket printed. You must choice the right day (and class) on the machine. When there is no day on the ticket, you must validate it on the station or platform.

The ticket is valid on the hole day, you can self choice witch train you want to travel to and back.

It is also permitted to go out the train on a station on your way, and take a next train.

Greeting from the Nederlands, Brahms

Last modified on Dec 11, 2016 - 2:27 PM by Brahms
traveljet
traveljet
90 posts
Dec 11, 2016 - 3:02 PM in reply to Brahms

Ok thanks Brahms.

Arno
Arno
9614 posts
expert &
Dec 11, 2016 - 4:09 PM

Yes, the above is how it works. Some regions and towns (like urban transport in Zürich) have lime limited tickets as explained here.

Last modified on Dec 11, 2016 - 4:10 PM by Arno
traveljet
traveljet
90 posts
Dec 11, 2016 - 4:21 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks for sharing the link, Arno.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1176 posts
top member
Dec 12, 2016 - 1:39 PM in reply to traveljet

2b) If buying from the sbb app, is it an e-ticket on our phone screen that we show to the conductor on the train? How do we use this to exit a station?

Yes, you show the conductor the eTicket on your phone screen. Station exits don't have ticket barriers: you just walk straight out.

3) When buying tickets on the bus eg in Engelberg or Grindelwald, must we have the exact fare to give the driver?

At some times of the year at least, there is a free shuttle bus from Engelberg railway station to the Titlis cable car station, so you don't need a ticket. It was operating when I was there at the end of August 2016 and will be operating again between 10 December 2016 and 17 April 2017.

Alpenrose

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017