PostBus through four passes of the Central Alps

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 18:25:33 #859896

Hi Alpenrose,

Thanks for sharing the trip experience! I am thinking of slotting this trip during one of the days I shift accomodation location, so I’d like to ask if the bus for this route is able to stow full sized luggage in the bottom compartment? Or is it not available and we’re only to bring small daypacks?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 1:55:07 #859897

>> I am thinking of slotting this trip during one of the days I shift accomodation location, so I’d like to ask if the bus for this route is able to stow full sized luggage in the bottom compartment?

Yes, there should not be any problems with that. When I took the trip, none of the passengers had any luggage, but the bus is a normal PostBus with a luggage compartment underneath.

Will you be boarding at Meiringen? Where do you intend to get off?

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 2:33:09 #859898

Hi Alpenrose,

Yes, I’ll be boarding at Meiringen (staying at Brienz West). The next accomodation location is likely to be Knonau so I’m guessing the best way is to do round day trip, get off at Meiringen then catch connecting train via Luzern. I think that’s the fastest way?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 23:30:26 #859899

Hi

Just how big are your big bags/cases? I have just checked Meiringen rail station for lockers – they haven’t many but if they are not already in use it could be an answer for you if you are leaving for day trip and arriving back there for transfer to Lucerne. There is 1 large locker 44.7 x 61.5 x 88.0 at 8chf and 6 medium 31.7 x 61.5 x 75.0 at 6chf. Might be worth checking out though as Alpenrose says not many people are likely to want to store luggage on the postbus so it shouldn’t be a problem for you to do that.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 8:11:50 #859900

>> Yes, I’ll be boarding at Meiringen (staying at Brienz West). The next accomodation location is likely to be Knonau so I’m guessing the best way is to do round day trip, get off at Meiringen then catch connecting train via Luzern. I think that’s the fastest way?

That sounds like a good plan. You will have a half hour or so after the bus returns to Meiringen before your train arrives, and you will get to Knonau at 20:44.

What do you plan to do about dinner?

Maggie’s idea about using the luggage lockers at Meiringen is a good one.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 10:54:24 #859901

Thanks Maggie and Alpenrose for the replies. Luggage size I’d say 3 cargo (flight check-in size) luggage bags.

Food-wise, we’re on halal diet so mostly self-cooked stuff at our Airbnb and stuff that seems fine to buy in the shops.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The thread ‘PostBus through four passes of the Central Alps’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.