Trip report 5 Sept/Oct 2012 Grindelwald market

• traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    7 May 2016 at 12:23:35 #809129

PART 5 Trip Report: GRINDELWALD MARKET in Oct 2012.

(Pt 1 was Beatenberg and Brienz; Pt 2 was Wengen and Junfrau; Pt 3 was Mannlichen; Pt 4 was Lauterbrunnen and Murren;)

We were visiting when Grindelwald was holding their market which is I think only once a year in October. That was in 2012 and I am not sure if it’s different these days. A fun day walking past the stalls which were pretty colourful and interesting (definitely not a flea market with cheap trinkets) – local delicacies and also swiss made items which were unique.

We walked through the town (definitely more bustling and not as restful as Wengen or Murren) and only spent a day at this market. For our future trip, we will go up to First to do the Cliff walk and also the Gorge.

So I don’t have much to say about Grindelwald except that we definitely wouldn’t base ourselves in this busier town. But you must do the ride from Mannlichen to Grindelwald Grund, then bus or train (I think a short ride) to Grindelwald itself to walk around.

Attached are photos of some of the interesting stalls at the Grindelwald market. Hope you enjoy them.

SUMMARY: Take the scenic route via Lucerne to Interlaken, if you are not in a hurry from Zurich airport. Attached are 2 photos of what to expect during the picturesque ride.

The weather during our time in the Jungfrau region was lovely. However, as they say you can see different types of scenes from cloudy to clear in a day. So I attached 2 photos where you can see the difference on a clear vs cloudy day in each photo. The weather clears very fast – at times within the hour.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2016 at 5:29:29 #851682

Thanks for all your detailed posts about the OB region. Very helpful for our upcoming trip.

traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    9 May 2016 at 7:09:42 #851683

Thanks Jenny, glad you find some of the info helpful. Hope you have a good trip and take your time to enjoy the region and rides.

• The thread ‘Trip report 5 Sept/Oct 2012 Grindelwald market’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.