Public transport from Kandersteg to Lauterbrunnen

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Sharon bow
Sharon bow
2 posts
Nov 4, 2019 - 12:57 PM

Good afternoon all,

My partner and I are hoping to return to the lauterbrunnen region for the 5th time, we love the area.

This time we are bringing my other half's sister and husband and we are looking at doing a 2 night hut to hut walk from Lauterbrunnen over to the Kandersteg valley, any recommendations for huts would be appreciated. We've always wanted to explore more of the higher/inner part of the area and have finally plucked up the courage to give it a go.

A concern of mine is once we are over in the Kandersteg valley how good is the public transport back to Lauterbrunnen, I presuming that trains are a good option?

Any info or websites that would be good to look at would be greatly appreciated.

We normally tent when staying in Lauterbrunnen but am now getting that bit older that we prefer hard accommodation, so any suggestions for local B&B's or chalets would also be greatly received.

I look forward to your comments.

Sharon

Snowman
Snowman
689 posts
top member
Nov 4, 2019 - 1:11 PM in reply to Sharon bow

Hi Sharon and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Find all timetables here: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable Select Advanced Timetables.

The only accommodation I know in the area is the Friends of Nature (Naturfreundehaus) in Grindelwald. You might like it, and it is a budget place (by Swiss standards): grindelwald.nfh.ch/

Good luck!

Steph
Steph
1979 posts
top member &
Nov 4, 2019 - 4:15 PM in reply to Sharon bow

Hello Sharon,

For accommodation ideas in both the Kander Valley and Lauterbrunnen, make sure to check the "Hotel" and "Rentals" tab in below links:
- www.myswissalps.com/ka ndervalley
- www.myswissalps.com/la uterbrunnen

Best,
Steph

Also make sure you check out:
- www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Last modified on Nov 4, 2019 - 4:17 PM by Steph
pvonk
pvonk
233 posts
Nov 4, 2019 - 6:10 PM in reply to Sharon bow

At what time of the year are you planning to visit?

Sharon bow
Sharon bow
2 posts
Nov 4, 2019 - 6:15 PM in reply to pvonk

Hi there, we are in the area for 9 days from 10th sept..

pvonk
pvonk
233 posts
Nov 4, 2019 - 6:26 PM in reply to Sharon bow

A perfect time of the year for that area!

Enter Kandersteg in the search box at the top right. A number of posts about hiking that area are given. They may help you.

Last modified on Nov 4, 2019 - 6:32 PM by pvonk
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6869 posts
expert
Nov 4, 2019 - 10:58 PM in reply to Sharon bow

<<"A concern of mine is once we are over in the Kandersteg valley how good

is the public transport back to Lauterbrunnen, I presuming that trains

are a good option?"

>>

Yes. Use the timetable as linked by Snowman.

<<"and we are looking at doing a 2 night hut to hut walk from Lauterbrunnen

over to the Kandersteg valley, any recommendations for huts would be

appreciated.">>

The hike you mention is strenuous. Are you in good shape and experienced at high altitude hiking?

www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/routes/nat ional-routes/route/etappe-01557.html

www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/routes/nat ional-routes/route/etappe-01558.html

Huts -

www.sac-cas.ch/en/

and

map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=en&land=wanderlan d&route=all&layers=Mou ntainhut%2CWanderland& photos=yes&bgLayer=pk& logo=yes&season=summer &resolution=20&E=26241 50&N=1151770

Or -

map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=en&land=wanderlan d&route=all&layers=Hot el%2CBedbreakfast%2CYo uthhostel%2CBackpacker %2CFarmaccom%2CMountai nhut%2CCampingsite%2CW anderland&photos=yes&b gLayer=pk&logo=yes&sea son=summer&resolution= 20&E=2624150&N=1151770

Slowpoke

Last modified on Nov 4, 2019 - 11:11 PM by Slowpoke
kim11
kim11
483 posts
top member
Nov 5, 2019 - 3:44 PM

As Slowpoke notes, the route from Lauterbrunnen to Kandersteg is challenging. The two hikes (Lauterbrunnen to Griesalp, Griesalp to Kandersteg) are the two most challenging segments of the Via Alpina. Pay special note to the ascent/descent metrics and understand that the trails are narrow with steep drop offs in some stretches and also feature some challenging footing (scree fields and such). Suitable for experienced and fit alpine hikers without vertigo nor fear of heights.

In Griesalp, I highly recommend Hotel Golderli www.golderli.ch/home.h tml. Doesn't come any better.

There are numerous hotels/B&Bs in Kandersteg which you can find via links above or googling. Should you venture to Gasterntal (about one hour walk outside of Kandersteg or mini-bus) we like Hotel Steinbock steinbock-gasterntal.ch/

As others have noted there are very easy train connections from Kandersteg to Lauterbrunnen. About two hours duration.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019