How to find train routes in Wengen with timetable?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 3:29:09 #879982

The GPL is a route not a specific train. If you look up the SBB timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw) for Luzern to Interlaken Ost via Meringen the only train that follows that route is the Luzern to Interlaken Express. It departs hourly.

With an STP you don’t need a ticket or a reservation. Just hop on any departure that suits and go.

sharon0213
    Participant
    11 posts
    5 April 2018 at 22:50:09 #879983

I was about to ask the same question and just want to verify that I understood rockoyster correctly. We are staying in Wengen for a few days, and then will be traveling from Interlaken Ost to Luzern on May 25 and planned to go via Meringen, as I’ve read here, to cover part of the GPL. I thought I needed to make a reservation for this route, but it sounds like we just need to board the train, as we have already purchased our STPs. Is this correct?

Also, when we travel to Wengen from Zermatt, we will travel part of the Glacier Express route (via Brig – Kandersteg – Spiez) per recommendation here. Do we need to make reservations for that trip or can we also just board a train with our STPs?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 22:56:19 #879984

Reservations are optional but not really necessary. If you look at the timetable closer to your travel time it will give you a prediction of how busy the train is expected to be in each class for your chosen departure. A very unlikely 3 red figures equals choc-a-bloc. 🤓

Zermatt to Brig is the only bit of the Glacier Express route you will be on. Reservations are not required on regional trains.

sharon0213
    Participant
    11 posts
    5 April 2018 at 22:58:11 #879985

Perfect! Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The thread ‘How to find train routes in Wengen with timetable?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.