Queries on Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2012 at 0:17:22 #805479

Hi,

1) What is the difference between GoldenPass & The Glacier Express?
    2) Does the Swiss pass cover both?
    3) Does the Swiss pass cover train from Bern to Paris?
    4) Can I just take the GoldenPass line from Lucerne to Interlaken (one way)?
    5) I tried to book tickets on the GoldenPass line website but I could only reserve seats. How does this work?

Thank you very much for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    22 July 2012 at 5:22:02 #836743

Hi Shindo! The Golden Pass and Glacier Express are different trains running different routes. The pages I linked to will provide you with more information. You can travel shorter legs of these trains as well.

The Swiss Pass covers both rides. You only have to pay for additional seat reservations. If you travel to Paris, the Swiss Pass covers the Swiss leg of the trip up to the border. Please review the downloadable validity map at the Swiss Pass page to see what’s covered.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2012 at 0:10:58 #836744

Thanks Annika!
    I’ve one more question. I’m travelling from Lucerne to Bern. Which scenic train (Glacier, Goldenpass, Bernina) route in your opinion is most suitable?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2012 at 1:43:22 #836745

Hi Annika,
    I’m trying to book my train ticket from Bern to Paris. How do I get the discount from the Swiss Pass? I don’t see “Swiss Pass” in the price reduction drop down list. Thanks so much in advance!

Annika
    7125 posts
    30 July 2012 at 5:03:25 #836746

Hi Shindo. Are you ordering through the SBB? In that case all you have to do is select ‘GA’ in either 1st or 2nd class when asked for reduction options for Switzerland. This ‘General Abonnement’ offers the same advantages as the Swiss Pass. This way, you’ll only have to pay for the French leg of the trip.

As for your trip from Lucerne to Bern: none of the panoramic trains covers this route, so you’ll have to make a detour to use one of them. The Golden Pass is the most obvious one, traveling up to Spiez by Golden Pass for example, and then switch trains to Bern. All connections are mentioned in the timetable.

• The thread ‘Queries on Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.