Question about goat behavior

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2017 at 5:39:27 #812498

I have a question about the behaviour of some goats yesterday in our hike down from hotel Obersteinberg on the way to the valley below murren. We Came Upon 20 or so goats with bells on, some of which were on the trail in front of us so we try to get around. some of them moved across the stream and we thought we were fine but one of them decided to follow us with his bell ringing.. we went a little faster and he moved a little faster behind us. And suddenly he was joined by eight or nine more goats. All their bells ringing as we raced quickly down the trail. I was able to stop the chase by standing my ground and yelling and Swinging my hiking pole while my wife went ahead. We did that 3 times and finally they seem to stop and I was able to scoop down the trail and get through the gate. Does anyone know what this Behavior was about? Were they curious? Were they angry that we were in their territory? Were we supposed to Simply wait until they left the area and you’re not really supposed to walk through the goats?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 July 2017 at 7:07:22 #866194

Hi dmahler99,

I don’t know about goats actually. But as for cows it is best to not approach them. Avoid and ignore them. They’re not pets. Perhaps the same applies to goats. It might have been better not to run as that might only make them more curious. But that’s just a guess. Perhaps others know more about goats specifically.

• The thread ‘Question about goat behavior’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.