Is the Traveler”s Wifi connection secure?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 12:45:47 #816883

Hi, does Traveler’s Wifi provide you with a “secure network connection”? I don’t see this addressed on their website of in the previous threads about this device. However, I am not very tech savvy and may have missed it. We will be spending a few days each in France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, and Spain, so were looking at getting the global one.

Thank you for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2018 at 14:18:46 #889421

Hi Eurodani,

Yes, the connection is secure. TravelersWifi is basically the same as your Wifi at home: you need a password to be able to connect to it. It is not an open/unsecured network.

As for securely connecting to websites (SSL, https): that is not related to how you connect to the internet, but it depends on the websites you visit. Most browsers show a green padlock next to the address bar if the connection to the current website is encrypted. This does not mean that the site is safe (anyone can configure encrypted connections), but it does mean that nobody can look into the data you exchange with that site. So it’s about improved privacy, and about safety if it comes to entering credit card data for example. You should see this padlock for MySwissAlps as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 16:09:32 #889422

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 4:41:53 #889423

Dear All,

i checked with travellers wifi global rate and found the same very steep indeed ,,,at this digital age when internet are available at dirt cheap rate everywhere, this much pricing is really very surprising…..i am very sure that other competitors data connection must be way cheap and its better if the forum provide complete and comparative details rather pushing one or two companies only…thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 June 2018 at 5:25:23 #889424

Hi Hansaria,

We personally tested the options explained on http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard (except for OneSimCard), so that’s why they are there. We can’t try it all, it is just our suggestions and not a complete market study. We prefer TravelersWifi because of its quality: it is the best there is, with unlimited high speed data that can be shared with the whole family, and no messing around with your SIM card. It is certainly not expensive in such a case, but for 1 or 2 people it isn’t cheap indeed. It’s not for everybody of course. No need to stick with the options we tried only! You’ll find several discussions on SIM cards in the forum section of the website, with various brands being discussed.

Happy travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 5:32:39 #889425

Thanks Arno Sir for prompt replies….yeah i do agree for a group of 8-10 people, these sim cards very cheap..but independent traveller or for 2, i think better cheaper options are available…

• The thread ‘Is the Traveler”s Wifi connection secure?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.