Questions about Rigi hike and how to get there

• geethan
    Participant
    2 posts
    23 December 2016 at 0:01:06 #810469

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a day trip in and around Lucern during next and plan to hike Rigi. As this is my first hike in Switzerland I have a few questions.

1. Which trails are open during winter? Is there a cost to enter?

2. What are ways to get to trail head? Is it possible to reach from http://www.vbl.ch/ network? How much would this cost?

Thanks

Geethan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    23 December 2016 at 9:02:31 #857511

Hi Geethan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. There is no cost to enter the trails, but there is a cost for the trains/cable cars/boats to get there. Please see http://www.rigi.ch/en/Experie nce-Enjoy/Winter/Winter-hiking-trails for the trails.

2. You can pick any trail, and start walking at any point along the trail. VBL is basically the public transport company in and around Lucerne, not including the Rigi area, but they will be able to sell you a ticket to anywhere you’d like to go. Depending on your other travel plans it might make sense to buy a rail pass so you do not need tickets. The Tell-Pass is an example, but there are other passes too.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 December 2016 at 2:20:25 #857512

Hi Geethan-

When? It matters, because some trails are not open in the Winter, and public transport has reduced service…less frequent…in the Winter.

Slowpoke

geethan
    Participant
    2 posts
    27 December 2016 at 7:08:58 #857513

Hi,

Sorry I meant “next week”

And I already did the hike on Christmas day 🙂

Thanks for the advice and support.

Here is a short video clip from my hike:

youtu.be/syZQZHa0oOc

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    27 December 2016 at 10:58:31 #857514

Nice, geethan!

• The thread ‘Questions about Rigi hike and how to get there’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.