Questions re Brienz

• traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    10 September 2012 at 5:25:17 #805621

Hello,

I would like to know:

1. We wish to stroll around the streets of Brienz and take a look at the woodcarving museum and violin making school. Do the shops esp woodcarving close during lunch hours. If yes, what is the usual lunch hour break?

2. We are taking a train to Brienz and returning by cruise.

Where can I buy the cruise ticket to return to Interlaken Ost? Are the tickets sold in Brienz as well on board the boat? It will be most convenient if we could buy the 1st class tickets on the boat (using our 50% Swiss pass discount).

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    11 September 2012 at 16:15:47 #837199

>Do the shops esp woodcarving close during lunch hours. If yes, what is the usual lunch hour break? <

Depends on time of year. When are you going?

>Where can I buy the cruise ticket to return to Interlaken Ost?<

There is a ticket kiosk right at the boat dock in Brienz.

traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    11 September 2012 at 20:01:51 #837200

Hello kim,

We will be in the Berenese Oberland 18 Sept-Oct 3. Our visit to brienz will be within the 18-23.

traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    11 September 2012 at 21:47:01 #837201

Quote: Do the shops esp woodcarving close during lunch hours. If yes, what is the usual lunch hour break? <

Depends on time of year. When are you going?

>Where can I buy the cruise ticket to return to Interlaken Ost?<

There is a ticket kiosk right at the boat dock in Brienz.[/quote]
    ===
    By the way Kim, I read some of your excellent and extremely helpful hints on hiking. You have truly put so much details into your posts. Thank you for the effort.

We are staying in Wengen (hotel Alpenrose for 8 nights) and wonder if its possible to get your notes which you mentioned. Trouble is I dont know how to email you through this website.

We are not hikers but would love to take some scenic easy walks (in our late 50’s / our son is 30yrs). Is it expensive to buy one of those walking “poles” and do we need one for Grutschalp to Murren or Mannlichen – Kleine Scheidegg?

Thanks in advance.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    12 September 2012 at 11:01:01 #837202

Hi Traveljet,

I received your private message and sent you the information via email. If you don’t receive, send me another PM.

Re: woodcarving, there is a shop near the train station that I believe is open without a lunch break during the time you will be there. The largest and most interesting shop is Jobin. They have a great website at http://www.jobin.ch/cms/cms.asp?Page=258&LF=3&p=ASP\Pg258.asp but unfortunately no mention of opening hours. You could select “Contact” and send them an inquiry.

You do not need hiking sticks for any of the hikes you mention nor any of the other easier walks in the area. Sticks are quite useful for hikes that include rough terrain or a significant amount of elevation ascent or descent, but these walks aren’t like that

traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    12 September 2012 at 11:44:48 #837203

Hello Kim,

Many thanks for your Word document which I received via email. Wow – cant wait to read all your notes so thoughtfully compiled.

In addition, the link to the Brienz woodcarving shop is so helpful. I found the opening hours of the woodcarving museum (9am-6pm in September) on this sub site on the link you provided. I saw the wonderful collection of music boxes in their online catalogue & a list of the tunes available. Being a musician (keyboard), I cant wait to get to the shop to listen to all the tunes in the music boxes.

http://www.jobin.ch/cms/cms.asp?Page=314&LF=3&p=ASP%5CPg314.asp

Your detailed advice is so appreciated. Warm regards!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2012 at 1:26:51 #837204

[quote]kim11 said: Hi Traveljet,

I received your private message and sent you the information via email. If you don’t receive, send me another PM.

Re: woodcarving, there is a shop near the train station that I believe is open without a lunch break during the time you will be there. The largest and most interesting shop is Jobin. They have a great website at http://www.jobin.ch/cms/cms.asp?Page=258&LF=3&p=ASP\Pg258.asp but unfortunately no mention of opening hours. You could select “Contact” and send them an inquiry.

You do not need hiking sticks for any of the hikes you mention nor any of the other easier walks in the area. Sticks are quite useful for hikes that include rough terrain or a significant amount of elevation ascent or descent, but these walks aren’t like that[/quote]

Hello Kim. I don’t know whether you feel like doing this, but I would love to have a copy of the walk notes you sent traveljet. My son and I visit Switzerland quite often(have just come home after 8 wonderful days there) and are always interested in easy walks. Many thanks if you can do this for me.If my email address doesn’t come through with this email please let me know and I’ll send it to you.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    18 September 2012 at 6:48:13 #837205

Hi Aussie

Happy to send you the information. Email addresses do not come through with regular postings, you need to send it to me via a Private Message. To send a PM, click on my screen name and at the bottom of the screen that pops up you will see a link that says “Send private message”. Click on that then enter your message and email address and send it to me

• The thread ‘Questions re Brienz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.