How to buy tickets with Swiss Travel Pass?

• VishalChadha
    Participant
    19 posts
    26 September 2018 at 4:02:52 #818515

Hi all

We have a Swiss Travel Pass (15 days) for our journey.

My question is how do you “use” the Swiss Travel Pass? Do we simply board the train and travel? And show the pass to a roaming train conductor, if and when they visit us at our seats? Or is there a booth or counter where the pass must be scanned / shown before boarding a train?

Also, for journeys where there is only a 50% reduction (e.g. on the Train from Montreal to Interlaken OST, the leg from Visp to Frutigen is 50% reduced, I believe) – how do we use the pass? Should we approach a ticket office and buy a half fare ticket showing them the pass before doing so?

Hope I was articulate enough with my question.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful help throughout in our trip planning phase.

Best regards

Vishal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 September 2018 at 6:56:38 #896893

Hello Vishal and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Do we simply board the train and travel? And show the pass to a roaming train conductor, if and when they visit us at our seats?

That’s all there is to it. See http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse for more info.

Between Visp and Frutigen is a dashed red line not a dotted red line. It indicates a long tunnel on a normal route covered by the STP. It’s free. One day we may convince SBB to show tunnels differently to avoid the common confusion. 🤓

That’s an unusual way for a tourist to get from Montreux to Interlaken. May be quick but it is not the major scenic tourist route which goes via Zweisimmen. See Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass).

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 September 2018 at 8:50:35 #896894

I’m on the same page Rockoyster, regarding the tunnel issue. Even though our map explains that dashed lines are free as well, it’s still not overly clear. They say they do it for people with tunnel anxiety to be able to avoid tunnels. That’s fair, but a more creative solution should be possible 🙂

VishalChadha
    Participant
    19 posts
    26 September 2018 at 8:55:24 #896895

Ah I see now. Thanks Rockoyester and Arno. It’s a relief to unexpectedly save some money while planning a Swiss holiday 😀

Actually, we will be traveling on the Golden Pass line all the way from Luzern to Montreux two days prior. The journey that I spoke of (Montreux to Interlaken) is only the return, where we are more concerned about saving time to be able to enjoy the Bernese Oberland.

Thanks again for the great help!

Best regards

Vishal

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 September 2018 at 11:02:23 #896896

Well now Vishal, I have a plan for you.

If your timetable permits then I strongly recommend you continue on beyond Visp to Brig and take the route via Brig and Kandersteg to Interlaken. You will then travel between Brig and Spiez on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route Visp direct to Spiez takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ L%C3%B6tschberg_railwa y_line.

VishalChadha
    Participant
    19 posts
    26 September 2018 at 12:52:26 #896897

Rockoyster, this is fantastic advice! Much indebted…

I just checked the train schedules per your advice, and have found the perfect one hopefully. Attached is the screen shot for the same. Would be great if you could eyeball to check if this works.

Thanks again and best regards

Vishal

Micalj
    Participant
    80 posts
    26 September 2018 at 13:15:47 #896898

rockoyster makes a good point, and I agree 100%. I would suggest you consider an addition to your itinerary as Visp is the jump off point to get to Zermatt and the Matterhorn. Just a personal opinion, but to be so close to Zermatt and not get to see the Matterhorn would be a missed opportunity. You could look at the weather, and make a decision based on the that. The trip up the valley from Visp to Zermatt is just over 1 hour. One of the many wonderful choices that will cross your path! Here a picture of the Matterhorn I took a few years back. Best wishes as you make some difficult choices.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    26 September 2018 at 17:20:45 #896899

Hi Vishal,

I just returned from Switzerland and also had a 15 day S T P. It worked like a charm. Just board any train and when the conductor asks for tickets, you present it to him and he/she scans it with what appears to be a cell phone. (They may ask for your passport as well, so have it handy. I kept my STP in my passport at all times in case they needed it) That is all there is to it. I found that most train stations have a railroad office, and stopped in many times for questions/directions or just any help and they were very helpful. Also many stations have an information booth, and many were helpful also. If you do have questions, or are just not sure about anything, allow a few extra minutes to stop in to one of these and it will certainly be of help. They even printed out schedules for me. Again, very helpful. Enjoy your trip.

Danielsan

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 September 2018 at 20:08:23 #896900

Hi Vishal,

Yes, that is the correct route. Enjoy.

• The thread ‘How to buy tickets with Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.