Rail Europe Summer Deal on train passes/tickets

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pklele
    Participant
    9 posts
    15 June 2017 at 15:11:43 #864794

Hi Arno,

Yes please share. I had replied to them as well asking why there was a change in price. Since I had 2 bookings through different email addresses, let me send you the other email address as well.

Thnx.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 June 2017 at 17:25:50 #864795

Hi Pklele and Springers,

Your details have been forwarded to Rail Europe. They will get in touch so keep an eye on your inbox (and spam folder to be sure).

Please let us know what happens and feel free to post back here if you need more help from us.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2017 at 22:39:24 #864796

I had the same thing happen to me today as happened to pklele. They now want to charge me 275 per 4-day pass, saying that the price had changed, but SBB still lists them at 259. So the new price (more per pass, but still with the “discount”) is almost exactly the same as the official price from SBB.

I get 24 hours to cancel, which I’m tempted to do and just go through SBB.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 June 2017 at 5:11:39 #864797

Do you want me to pass on your e-mail address to them too Suzycox? Did you order using the same e-mail address you use on MySwissAlps.com? This is not how they normally work so I think they need to fix this.

But please note that SBB prices are not related to prices of other retailers. Others can be cheaper or more expensive than the SBB; it’s their own decision.

You’ll find the SBB tourist webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. Their prices should not change until January 1. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list of shipping options to receive the passes through e-mail.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 13:47:56 #864798

I don’t know about pkele, but I hadn’t officially paid yet. I placed my order and the confirmation it would take 2-3 days to process before payment went through. I now have the option to pay the new price or cancel the order.

If you think it might result in me paying the original price, you are welcome to share my address with them. It is the same I use here. I only have a few hours left before I need to make my decision.

The price on swissrailways ($530 for two 4-day passes with a family card) is currently $15 more than I will pay through Rail Europe at the new price, but I was only going to pay $479 with the promotion.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 14:30:25 #864799

Many thanks for your help Arno, they have contacted me today for the start date of the passes, and I think my reply has gone through!

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 15:44:16 #864800

Hi

I am from India travelling to Switzerland..

Can I buy STP from http://www.raileurope-world.com instead of http://www.raileurope.co.in as the passe are slightly cheaper there..

Also has the issue of higher price of passes being asked after booking been solved??

If i buy STP physically after reaching Switzerland…one of the problem u mentioned is long Que ( thai i really dont mind) and other is if the pass is lost…. dont they issue a duplicate travel pass if rmmbr the booking number

waiting for an urgent reply

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 June 2017 at 17:30:53 #864801

Hi Himarora,

Yes, you can buy from either website. The higher price issue only occurred on the US website and was a one time problem, so that should not happen to you. Physical passes purchased in Switzerland will not be replaced when lost or stolen. Travel insurance may cover such an event, but the railways do not. The print at home passes can be printed again in such a case.

pklele
    Participant
    9 posts
    19 June 2017 at 4:06:58 #864802

Hi Arno,

Thanks for checking on my issue. I will update the thread when I see the transaction go through.

pklele
    Participant
    9 posts
    20 June 2017 at 14:20:46 #864803

Hi Arno,

My account has been charged for the higher amounts and I haven’t seen the refund on the difference yet. This transaction was applied to my account 5 days ago on June 15th, so not sure why the delay for the refund. I have sent email to Rail Europe asking when the refund will be applied. I will update if I hear from them.

Thanks.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 June 2017 at 19:20:15 #864804

Thanks for keeping us informed Pklele! I’m sure the refund will be fine in the end, but things like that may indeed take some time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2017 at 2:00:28 #864805

Rail Europe is having some issues with accepting the code. Mine got denied when buying online and I had to call them the next morning and told them about my purchase being denied. I told them about the code because they gave me my ticket in full prize, the man I spoke to had to have his supervisor approve the transaction with the discount code before we can move on, but everything went well, and I just got my tickets in the mail today =)

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 June 2017 at 9:35:46 #864806

There is a maximum number of codes so the offer can expire at any time, but apparently that was not the case here. I’m glad it went well in the end and you could take advantage of it!

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2017 at 3:31:42 #864807

Hi guys

I just tried via the SG website, the exchange rate to SGD is so ridiculous that it just offset the discount. However the exchange rate to USD isn’t so bad. When I tried to purchase it via the America website, it doesn’t has an e-version though and thus forces me to pay for the shipping fees?

Is that how it supposed to be?

Many thanks for any inputs.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 June 2017 at 16:23:20 #864808

Hi vonvon,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The US site at http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html is for North American customers. Indeed their rates are a bit better than on the Singaporean site http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ pass/swiss-travel-pass-82. But even if you managed to order through the US site they may cancel the order because you’re not in North America. It has happened to others. They do offer print at home passes, but I am not sure if they display that option to everyone (again based on where you live perhaps). As you live in Singapore I assume you save a bit in banking fees if you can pay in SGD rather than USD, is that right?

I’d recommend the Singaporean site unless it is more expensive than the Swiss Railways webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en even if you take advantage of the promotion.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2017 at 19:39:26 #864809

The original price for 8 days Swiss travel pass was 376 chf if I were to buy direct, if i compare the price from rail europe in sgd, they are charging about 60sgd bucks more in total for a pair of tickets. Well i guess i just make do with the minimum savings then. Thanks Arno!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 9:17:09 #864810

Hi Arno

I will be traveling to Switzerland in September 2nd week . can i buy my Swiss travel pass now to utilize this discount ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2017 at 11:25:25 #864811

Hi vonvon,

You may want to check the prices at http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-travel-pass-82 too. They’re charging in €, so again a foreign currency for you, and they add a booking fee, but their basic pass price is lower and they also offer the same promotion discount. Perhaps this results in a bit better saving for you.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2017 at 11:26:52 #864812

Hi Dasari23,

Yes, you can. As you are from Singapore too I’d also recommend to have a look at http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-travel-pass-82 and http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ pass/swiss-travel-pass-82 and see which one works best for you.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    26 June 2017 at 5:07:04 #864813

Thanks Arno for the update. Unfortunately I cant use the promo as the 3 Half Fare Cards I need dont add up to $600 to qualify.

1) Your website mentions that For Rail Europe, “Print at home available for the Swiss Travel Pass (delivery through e-mail in 1-2 working days)”, does that includes the Half Fare card too? Their website charges S$181 (without the promo).

2) Sbb charges Chf 120 for the Half fare card. I havent figured out whether I will end up paying higher or lower if buying from Sbb as I am unsure what conversion rates they use. If based on yahoo exchange + 3% bank/card fees, it comes up to S$177, still a little cheaper than RailEurope.

Will lookout and see if there will be news on any other future promos before we leave in September.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • The thread ‘Rail Europe Summer Deal on train passes/tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.