Rail line from Luzern to Interlaken

• Ouseler
    Participant
    20 posts
    21 January 2019 at 3:49:54 #819559

We are looking for the quickest rail route from Luzern to Interlaken. I looked up the timetables for SBB and all routes are up through Bern, down to Spiez, and then to Interlaken. However, I see other routes from Luzern, Brienz, Interlaken. I think this is the quickest route. Our date for June 8th, 2019. What rail line runs that route and how do I find their timetables? When going that route, do you have to change trains there and then take another train to Interlaken West (or walk?)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2019 at 4:14:19 #902535

The SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) will always give you the fastest connection between A and B by default. The Luzern – Interlaken Express via Meiringen and Brienz forms part of the Golden Pass Line and is very scenic. It runs hourly and terminates at Interlaken Ost. You can get a train or a bus to Interlaken West.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2019 at 22:15:35 #902536

Adding to Rockoysters comments –

If you want to force the route through Brienz, or, perhaps Meiringen, enter that name in the “via” box in the timetable.

Default mode is always the fastest, and the Luzern-Interlaken Express via Brienz is usually the fastest. Perhaps there is track work which requires part of the trip to be on a substitute busbus, which would slow it down.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2019 at 0:33:38 #902537

Yes – take the direct narrow gauge (red and white) train Luzern Interlaken

The Luzern – Interlaken railway is actually the Brünig Pass – ignore refrences to the ‘Golden Pass’ in this instance – it is just modern branding not particularly relevant to your journey

The Luzern – Meiringen – Interlaken Ost line is the Brünig pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’. Just take one of these trains which run every 1 hour through the day. Change at Interlaken Ost for a short hop on the main line train to Interlaken West

It’s OK but not spectacular scenery

Here is the Official Timetable PDF:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/470.pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2019 at 0:35:39 #902538

no track work planned after April

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 January 2019 at 0:43:09 #902539

<<“no track work planned after April”>

Thanks. I knew there was some, but did not have the details.

Slowpoke

Ouseler
    Participant
    20 posts
    22 January 2019 at 1:30:51 #902540

Thanks folk! That really helps!

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    22 January 2019 at 22:41:30 #902541

The ZentralBahn via the Brunig Pass (once known as the SBB Brunig line) is a wonderful travel experience and highly recommended.

These days the “Luzern – Interlaken Express’ trains are generally EMUs (no not the Australian bird )- electric multiple unit (trains) that are clean and comfortable.

• The thread ‘Rail line from Luzern to Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.