Rail pass from Murren to Locarno

• robert
    Participant
    3 posts
    10 May 2010 at 18:59:56 #803816

My Swiss rail pass map has the red line from domodossola to Locarno. does that mean I can use my Swiss pass , and is the ferry connection from town to town worth the trip down to Stresa from Locarno?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 May 2010 at 5:45:23 #831246

Hi Robert,

Yes, Domodossola – Locarno is one a the few sections outside of Switzerland included in the Swiss Pass as well. It’s the Centovalli railway, a beautiful railroad and well worth the trip!

Traveling from Locarno to Stresa takes 2:30 to 3:00 hours by train (see the online timetable). I don’t know what it’s like there, may be someone else can tell.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2010 at 10:27:26 #831247

The boat trip from Locarno to Stessa is very nice. It is not covered by the Swiss Pass. They sell a triangular round trip. You take the scenic train to Domodosolla and then another train to Stressa, and then the boat back. You can also go the other way
    Stop off at Isola Bella islan d and get the next boat. There are nice restaurants there.
    Dick

• The thread ‘Rail pass from Murren to Locarno’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.