Rail pass or point to point-one day Swiss Alps

Rail pass or point to point-one day Swiss Alps

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
rjblanchard
rjblanchard
3 posts
Apr 29, 2018 - 2:44 PM

We have one day to visit the Swiss Alps, on a Saturday in late June. We will be staying in Basel. The plan is to take a train from Basel to Interlaken; take the Golden Pass train from Interlaken to Montreux round trip; and then back to Basel, all in one day.

I think I read that the Regional Pass Lake Geneva would get us on the Golden Pass line. But will it get us all the way from Interlaken to Montreal (and back)? With the cost of the train tickets from Basel to Interlaken and back, would it cost less to just purchase the Swiss Travel Pass? We will only be using whichever pass we purchase for one day.

Thanks in advance! Becky

Lucas
Lucas
7238 posts
expert &
Apr 29, 2018 - 3:50 PM in reply to rjblanchard

Hi Becky,

A train trip from Basel to Lucerne and then on the Golden Pass to Montreux is a nice day trip - but you aren't in the Alps (just so you know). You should see a few mountains though along the way.

If you want to go into the mountains I would spend the day in Lucerne - there are several ones nearby.

The Regional Pass - Lake Geneva doesn't cover to entire Golden Pass route no - see what it covers here.

You wouldn't want to buy a Swiss Travel Pass (minimum 3 days) just for a one day trip no. A Saver Day Pass though would be a very good option for you. If you buy it about 30 days out you can get it for as low as 52chf and use it all day long almost anywhere you would want to go for the day (definitely covering your plans at the moment).

rjblanchard
rjblanchard
3 posts
Apr 29, 2018 - 3:52 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks!! This is the first piece of useful information!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018