Only rain ever since we came to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2016 at 5:16:53 #810122

Can’t believe our luck that it has been raining ever since we came to Switzerland…it is very diaheartening. We got one day of moderate sun in Lucerne but that was after the day of Mt Titlis, so that was that…

And now in the Bernese Oberland and the forecasts are of rains without any sign of the sun…feel defeated after planning so much…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    18 September 2016 at 11:13:58 #856067

That’s a pity indeed! There is a risk in visiting the Alps, one has to be lucky and be flexible to wait for weather improvements if necessary. I hope you have time in the Bernese Oberland to do so. If not, there are still lots of things you can do, like the Trümmelbach Falls, Aare gorge, Grindelwald Glacier Gorge, a visit to Bern, the St. Beatus caves, etc. I hope you’ve had a chance to visit some museums in Lucerne. A boat trip can still be nice in light rain too. Of course we all prefer the glorious sunny days with majestic views, but we have to settle for what we get. I hope you have time to see some sun too! The forecasts show more sun on Thursday, but that’s too far ahead to be sure at this point.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 September 2016 at 0:10:19 #856068

Sorry to hear it. It has happened to us few times…really a bummer.

However, the forecasts re not very reliable, particularly in the Jungfrau region. Keep your eyes and ears open.

Bern is nice, even in the rain.

Consider the Rhone Valley…often sunnier.

Are you hikers?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2016 at 6:52:15 #856069

Hi

SO sorry to hear that

Why not take lake cruise ot a long teain ride and enjoy the views without getting wet ? We dod the same on the day it rained during our trip…..aare gorge is beautiful really

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2016 at 15:58:35 #856070

I can relate – we’ve been in the Jungfrau region for 4 days, and today was the first time we saw the mountains. We had about half a day without rain and clouds, but those few hours were spectacular. On the days that it rained we did the valley walk in Lauterbrunnen, did the boat ride on the Thun River from Interlaken to Thun and then walked around there a bit and saw the Thun castle. We did some hiking in the rain, but that’s not something I’d want to do everyday. Good luck!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2016 at 18:20:11 #856071

Thanks for all your suggestions…yes, Blairp, today was a bit sunny for a few hours, Murren was pretty and crisp… And loved our lunch at Winteregg.

We are not that big trekkers since am travelling with parents and the stay is pre-booked…yesterday walked around Wengen, hoping to do the Mannlichen to KS but no such luck…Rhone valley, Bern, Lake Thun sound good… Was also contemplating Brienz and Jobin shop as Slowpoke had mentioned in earlier posts…but today was a bit sunny…we are in the Stechelberg valley, a small chalet so the valley walk was done by default…tomorrow Zermatt calls… Let’s see…

• The thread ‘Only rain ever since we came to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.