Rain in Interlaken. Suggestions on places to visit

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 13:40:03 #816022

Hi All,

It’s been raining continuously in Interlaken. I’m here for 3 days (16,17,18) may. With the rains I think jungfrauch might not have good weather. Can you please suggest what other places can i visit with the rains looking unstoppable. We are 5 people. ( young couple, 60 years old parents, 10 year old kid).

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 14:22:56 #885452

Hi MahendraK,

You never know about the weather at the top of the mountains until you check their webcam for the top – it can be quite different. https://www.jungfrau.c h/de-ch/live/webcams/#webca m-jungfraujoch-top-of-europe

Although it isn’t looking great at the moment. I might head to Thun or Bern for the day. Looks like Bern is raining a bit but currently partly sunny.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 23:08:07 #885453

Here are some other suggestions. For some, you would need suitable clothing and footwear for walking around in a bit of rain:

• Boat trips on Lake Brienz and Lake Thun (under cover)
    • Ballenberg Museum (outdoors)
    • Aare Gorge (some shelter)
    • Grindelwald Glacier Gorge (some shelter)
    • Trümmelbach Falls (some shelter, but also spray)
    • St Beatus Caves (shelter)
    • Golden Pass train to Montreux and back (warm and dry)
    • Village walks in Wengen, Mürren and Lauterbrunnen (outdoors).
    • City visits to Thun (30 minutes), Bern (about an hour), Luzern (less than 2 hours), Fribourg (about 1.5 hours) or Solothurn (about 1.75 hours)

Some of them involve a bit of travel, but if you have a Swiss Travel Pass, your travel will be covered.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 6:59:59 #885454

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys. This will be definitely helpful.

Now when I look at the webcams, it is looking really beautiful. If I start at 10 from interlaken west, I’ll reach around 12 o clock in the afternoon at the top. What other factors should I consider or how carefully can I plan the trip up to jungfrau because in 4 hours the weather may completely change by the time I’m at the top.

Should I book tickets only uptill Grindewald/Kleine Scheidegg and then decide whether to go to jungfrau after reaching there?. If the weather turns out bad once I’m in Kleine Scheidegg, which other place can I visit from there.

Hope I’m clear with my queries. Thanks again for your help guys.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 15:19:46 #885455

If the forecast looks good for the mountain in the afternoon and at 10am the webcam looked good I’d just go all the way and cross my fingers. 🙂

You could though do the hike to Männlichen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 20:25:41 #885456

Hello,

I went ahead with jungfrau. The experience was amazing even though the clouds arrived by the time we reached. Still the journey was worth a visit.

Tomorrow we’ll be taking boat trip to lake brienz starting from interlaken Ost. We checkout in the morning, head to interlaken Ost and take the boat. Then later we have an apartment booked in Luzern. So I wanted to know about luggage storage in interlaken ost. I found in SBB site a number and timing for baggage storage but no details on prices or how much luggage can we store. We’ll have around 6 big suitcases. What will be the best way to handle the luggages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 21:59:05 #885457

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip.

I’ve heard from friends in Zurich who went up even in cloudy weather and thought the trip itself was worth it.

I’m not sure off-hand the locker cost for storage – Swiss railways has, as you’ve found, taken that information off the website for some reason.

If I remember correctly it is around 6chf per 24 hours. Larger lockers may be around 9chf. Bring coins!

You’ll probably need at least 3 lockers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 16:26:42 #885458

Hello,

There were self operated coin lockers in interlaken Ost Station. All of them were of same size but it was enough for us as we were able to fit in enough luggages in one box itself..

The price of each storage box is 7 chf.

Thanks for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 17:32:04 #885459

Super! thanks for the report back!

• The thread ‘Rain in Interlaken. Suggestions on places to visit’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.